Butt Kicked on Pemi Loop and Waumbek for #115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butt Kicked on Pemi Loop and Waumbek for #115

Saturday I set off with high hopes of a one-day Pemi loop from Lincoln Woods parking lot at 4:30 AM. I would do a clock-wise route so Flume was 1st. I figured I could get it done in 20 hours. It was colder than expected and I spent a lot of time adding and removing my outer layer throughout the hike. Also the Franconia Ridge was mobbed which required the appropriate amount of stepping aside for other hikers. I had been on all these peaks before but I did not know the trail from Lafayette to a little ways past the Skookumchuck trail.
    It was a great day for a hike and I had plenty clothes,food and drink. I didn’t care when I got done as much as I wanted to stay comfortable, nourished and hydrated. I like talking to AT thru- hikers when I get the chance to listen to their opinions of taking on the AT (ALL say it’s more mental than physical).
    The beautiful day wore on and just about dark I was at the Galehead hut. I knew most of the climbing was done but had many miles to go and I had a chill from the sweat and the wind all day. I didn’t feel like hiking in the dark and I was tired since I never caught a nap all day.
    THANK YOU AMC FOR HAVING A POLICY THAT ALLOWS PEOPLE IN MY SITUATION TO STAY THE NIGHT EVEN THOUGH WE SHOW UP WITH NO CASH OR CARDS (they’ll bill me).
    It was pure heaven to lay down in the top bunk and pull a wool blanket over me !

I left the next morning before breakfast was served and thanked the manager for letting me stay. He gave me a giant piece of coffee-cake to go. After the south Twin climb I wolfed that down with my triscuits and peanut butter ,cliff bar and had a nice smoke.
    It was cold and windy again with the threat of rain but things went well for the long cruise across the Bonds and back to Lincoln Woods.

I took Monday off for rest and shuttled some AT thru-hikers. Tuesday I did Waumbek for my #115. It would have been such a nice hike except my right knee was seizing up. I had been sitting at #114 since August of 2017 but I didn’t want to drive all the way to the Whites just for Waumbek. I really wanted to give the Pemi Loop a good shot first. It’s apparent now I’m never doing it in one day but making it a 2 day hike is pretty darn nice.
    115/115 Yippeeee!

Congrats (no longer a) Rookie, sounds like quite a trip! I've stayed at one hut in the whites in my life, I think it was Galehead....

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
    And death is a long cold rest.
    You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
    Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
    -Pink Floyd

Comment

Congrats on completing the list! I am not sure I know anyone who has completed it on Waumbek, so I looked up the member listing that I got a few years back when I finished (it is as of 2019) and there were only 5 other people to do that. you are in a rare company!

that's great that they had let you stay. I very much enjoyed staying there when I hiked the Twins-Garfield loop.
      46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Congratulations! That's a memorable finishing trip!

Comment

Congratulations, you are well on your way to the NE Hundred Highest

Comment

Nice report and Congratulations.
            As above only one hut for me and it was Galehead too.

Comment

Congratulations on the 115! The Pemi Loop trip sounds like you gained a lot of experience on your 115 journey and knew when it was best to just take the bunk - no longer a Rookie for sure!

Comment

Congratulations Rookie???? I think not anymore. Great job and thanks for posting here!
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Congratulations Rookie! You made a wise choice at Galehead and kudos to AMC for the bunk, woolly and yummy coffee cake! I am so proud of your hiking accomplishments. We've shared many mountain adventures together and perhaps, one day, we'll get to take a walk again! My very best to you!

Comment

Rookie, congratulations on your accomplishment and nice trip report. (The one-day Pemi Loop is hard - certainly harder than the one-day Great Range Traverse we did all those years ago.) - Al

Comment

Congrats on your accomplishment! I remember down-climbing from South Twin back in 2011. Cancelled an ADK hike due to Irene and ended up in the Pemi. I actually snapped a trekking pole on that descent...pretty darn steep!

Comment

Working...
                      X