7/6-7/9/19-Tris/WF/Pass, Carrigain, Isolation, Liberty/Flume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/6-7/9/19-Tris/WF/Pass, Carrigain, Isolation, Liberty/Flume

Working on the NE 115 and this trip brought me to 97/115 and 44/48. Four left in NH and first trip to Maine in September. Thanks to JoeCedar who again provided invaluable advice. Saturday's weather forecast was with thunderstorms predicted, but I made it all the way to Passaconaway before they started to roll in and bring a deluge upon us. Lots of evidence of moose along the way but it was too hot and humid and they probably were bedded down somewhere, or keeping cool near lakes and ponds. I did hear that a momma moose and calf came down to the Joe Dodge Lodge where I was staying on Monday night! First two nights were at the Kancamagus Lodge. Nice place. Clean and quiet. Bugs on the first and second days were pretty relentless. Good bit of mud, but not quite Adirondack level on day one. Filtered at Downe's Brook and after Passaconaway water sources were plentiful. I met a group of four younger folks on Pass and as they had only done the one peak and we were all headed to Oliverian Brook parking, I figured they knew where they were going and just followed along, hoping to get a ride back to my car at Pine Bend Brook where I had started. Unfortunately, we all went down the Walden Trail and not the Square Ledge Trail and it added 2.5 miles to the hike, but I was able to get us back on track with my new Garmin 64 st. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up with them and they didn't wait in the parking lot to give me a ride, so it was a long walk back to the car. 3 miles on the road. The added mileage kept me from enjoying a dinner at Common Man, but Enzo's pizza was pretty good. This was a long day for me, just shy of 14 hours.

7/7/19-Carrigain. Lots of jumbles of rock made this a pretty challenging hike. Once you break treeline on the Signal Ridge trail, the views are spectacular and only improve once you are on the observation tower. A good number of people out, enjoying a lovely day. 6 hours.

7/8/19-Isolation for my birthday. Joe recommended the Rocky Branch Trail. Longer, which has less elevation gain than if I went up Glen Boulder or Boott Spur to Davis Path. If you want views, the latter trails are the ones to take, as you don't get any views on Rocky Branch till you break treeline. Bugs buzzed, but didn't bite. Some Adirondack level mud was found on the Davis Path. Be sure not to fall for the false summit, complete with a cairn once you come off the Davis Path. The summit is just beyond it. Finished just shy of 9 1/2 hours.

7/9/19. Liberty and Flume. My wife would have preferred an early return home, but it was a lovely day. I just had to hike! Even though it was cooler, it was warm enough to make me break a sweat. Great rock work along the trail, but the up to the Franconia Ridge is pretty relentless. Tried to filter water at Liberty Springs, but my filter clogged in the shallow pool, so I had to drink unfiltered and hope the wooden spigot and moss on it filtered the water for me! The views on Liberty and Flume were wonderful. I did see a couple of people out with footwear I would never try(Crocs and Toms sneakers!) 6 hours and 45 minutes. A little slower than I would have liked, but considering this brought me to just over 50 miles in the four days, I thought it was pretty good.

Glad to be getting closer to a goal that is becoming more real with every peak!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gebby; 07-12-2019, 06:38 AM.

Great story! 51/115 here officially. May end on Carrigain, or Kathadin, or both (one NH, one Overall). Like to see more reports on this forum from Whites/Maine/Greens/Cats! Looking at Liberty and Flume in a few weeks. Up Flume (steep) and down Liberty right? Where do you park? Staying at Lafayette campground but may drive to trailhead.

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      I stayed away from the Flume slide as it was my fourth consecutive day out and I'm vertically challenged and sometimes those slides can be tricky with hand and foot holds. I also had been sagely advised by JoeCedar who hasn't steered me wrong yet! Exit 34A off 93 and I parked at the Liberty Springs Trailhead and did an out and back via the Liberty Springs Trail. The mileage is about the same if you do it as I did or if you go up Flume and down Liberty Springs.

Great trip, Gebby. You're rolling toward the big finish. No more complaining about weak legs. You must be in top shape after four consecutive days.

Comment

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Joe! Definitely feeling strong! Thank you again for all the advice and your steadying influence!
Working...
X