October Mtn State Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by masshysteria View Post
    Another thought I just had; that map looks like a copy of the FW Beers Atlas of 1876 . Doesnt show any reference to Whitney, which would be accurate
    http://www.pinebrookmaps.com/servlet...rkshire/Detail

But it does show many of the same names from your map. I'll bet Schermerhorn Road was built by the CCC in the 1930's? Maybe even the extension of County Road into 4 Corners. I couldnt see a date on the map you had, I'm guessing 1900?
    I found a Schermerhorn address in "downtown" lenox when checking out the old maps for Lenox.

Apparently, also where I live in Pittsfield, I used to be literally next door to the Pittsfield Alms house and Insane Asylum!!!!!! Maybe that explains all those crazy turkeys flying around in my backyard!

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
    And death is a long cold rest.
    You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
    Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
    -Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Jay H View Post

P.S. "Frank Chapel" was the gameskeeper for the Whitney estate, I noticed a lot of "chapels' in the cemetary but no "frank".

And you guessed it, the cemetary is supposedly Haunted

Jay
      Yup, I've been in that cemetery at night. It is a creepy place, with all the sunken graves, and the fact that it is out in the middle of nowhere. And if you believe in the legend of the Crispy Critter.....

I cant find a reference to it online, but there was a small monument called the Chapel Monument. It marked the location where a gentleman named Chapel died when his horse-drawn cart filled with wood flipped over in the snow, and landed on top of him. IIRC around 1850 or so...The monument is long gone, but it was at the intersection of the 'old' New Lenox Road trail (not to be confused with the newer paved New Lenox Road in lenox proper) and the Aqueduct Trail. Again, way out in the middle of nowhere. I love this stuff, so cool to roam around the woods finding these out of the way places!
      https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

I found a Schermerhorn address in "downtown" lenox when checking out the old maps for Lenox.

Jay
        That Schermerhorn was of money, maybe not to the degree of the Vanderbilts, Whitneys, etc. There is a short dead-end street off of Kemble Street in Lenox, behind Ventfort Hall, called Schermerhorn Park. I'm sure there is a connection between that and Schermerhorn Gorge, perhaps he owned the property at one time, and donated it to the State?

Comment

Apparently, also where I live in Pittsfield, I used to be literally next door to the Pittsfield Alms house and Insane Asylum!!!!!! Maybe that explains all those crazy turkeys flying around in my backyard!

Jay
          On outer West Street? Far from the downtown......

Comment

• LordElberon
            LordElberon commented
            Editing a comment
            Any of you still check this forum? I have been exploring Oct Mt and looking for a few places.

Originally posted by masshysteria View Post
          On outer West Street? Far from the downtown......
          Yeah, the article I found about the Pittsfield Alms house mentioned 3 miles from the village.. I'm just about 3 miles from the "pittsfield green" and when I checked out the old map, I can place Smith Brook which is the brook that feeds my swamp in the backyard, I'm roughly right where it is marked as "pittsfield alms house" My house certainly isn't big enough to hold the 35ish folks that the alms house supposedly carried but the house next door might and of course BCC is on a lot of land...

plus, being the poor and/or insane, i'm sure the city leaders wanted to keep them out of sight!

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

• LordElberon
            LordElberon commented
            Editing a comment
            Any of you still check this forum? I have been exploring Oct Mt and looking for a few places.

Aha, another Eureka moment..

http://www.communityheritagemaps.com...rkshire01.html

That's the quad for where I live. I remember there is a tiny cemetary that is obviously very old on the other side of the road, just a bit west of me. That is labelled on the map above out on West St, where if you look closely, you can see the label "pittsfield alms house" which by the marker is still further west from the cemetary which you can see by the "cemetary" label. This puts the Alms house smack dab where BCC is now.
          Where I am looks to be either F.A. Hand or A.M. Clatchy which is feasable since my house is tagged as being from the late 1700s... And Smith Brook is in my backyard as that feeds my swamp...

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

thanks for the revival LordElberon. i spend a lot of time in beartown state forest and have just started into october mountain a little myself. this thread was an interesting read.

Comment

Working...
            X