Moosilauke Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moosilauke Questions

Looking for advice on which trail, trailhead, loop or whatever is best for climbing Mount Moosilauke. I dont know much about the NH 48 or New Hampshire for that matter, but I plan to start with Moosilauke.

Any advice on the hike or a good place to stay or eat is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Catskills: 39/39, 35W/35W
    ADK: 46/46, 1W/46W

I used 4000footers.com for info when I climbed the NH and ME Peaks. I went up the Beaver Brook trail because I wanted to see the waterfalls. Rock can be slippery and in places there are metal ladder rungs into the rock to assist. I enjoyed the climb.

Comment

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. Appreciated.

A popular loop starts at the Ravine Lodge and covers the Gorge Brook, Carriage Road (partial), and Snapper trails. The South Peak is worthwhile and a short side trip off the Carriage Rd. I took that route for my first of the NH 48, and in retrospect remember it as the easiest 4,800er I ever climbed.

If you’re interested in hiking the Whites, you should stop by the Mountain Wanderer bookstore in Lincoln. The owner, Steve Smith, is also the co-author of the AMC White Mountain Guidebook, and another called The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains. The AMC guide breaks down the Whites into areas, then lists all the trails. To put together a hike, you hopscotch around in the book to connect the dots. The 4000-Footers book chapters go peak by peak, and describe the various routes for each, making it easier to decide how you’d like to approach them, besides providing some history, geology, winter climbing info. If climbing the NH 48 is your goal, I found the latter book more useful, but it doesn’t include the maps like the AMC guide, and is currently out of print.

Comment

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for info. I will look into it. I do own 4000 Footers of the White Mountains by Steve Smith. It's kind of been sitting on my shelf. I just ordered the map set from AMC. I will do more research. Thanks.

http://vftt.org
    Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• Jay H
      Jay H commented
      Editing a comment
      Second Tom's comment.. Reach out to David Metsky! I finished on Moosilauki for the NH48 and the 115 about 10 years ago.. great mtn to finish on... It's sort of the whiteface of the White Mtns..

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Tom and Jay. I will look into.

Moosilauke is easily accessed from Lebanon / Norwich in west and Lincoln / Woodstock in east.

I agree it's better to start from Ravine Lodge and do a counterclockwise loop. Do not pass up South Peak, it's a great payoff for little effort.

Comment

• Jay H
      Jay H commented
      Editing a comment
      Second that for the South Peak....

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Daniel and Jay. I will look into and I won't pass up South Peak.
Working...
X