Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Pemigewasset Loop

Hey All.

Couple questions that I'm hoping somebody can help out with. I'm planning a two day Pemi Loop in NH.

First question I have is about potential hammock camping between Garfield Tent Sites and Galehead Hut. I'd like to push past Garfield on day 1 if I'm feeling up to it but don't want to get stuck without a place to hang my hammock.

Second question is about water. I plan to carry 4 liters in from the start (2-1 liter Nalgene bottles), 2 liter Cnoc bladder stored for reserves. I know that's not gonna be enough, and I know water is extremely limited on this hike, so where do I stop for water fill ups along the way?

Any other useful information you have about this loop would be great too!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” John Muir

Post on VFTT for more info.

Also, try to get in touch with any of the guys who have FKTs on the pemi:

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/pemigewasset-loop-nh

(Jan sometimes posts here.)

Have fun!

Comment

I was going to say plenty of water at Galehead, but apparently the huts are closed. :-(
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

You will find several nice hammock spots on either side of the trail near the Garfield Pond sites. Water wasn't an issue when we did the loop a couple years back. We never carried more than 2 liters and never ran out. We did the loop CCW and had easy access to water at the brook just before the real climbing begins to Bondcliff, you've got a spring at Guyot tentsite (which is a bit of a drop down from the ridge), Galehead hut (which isn't an option currently), a spring right at the junction to the Tentsite on the East side of Garfield, Liberty Springs tenstite (again a fair drop down from the ridge) and finally the Pemi river at the end. Sounds like you are planning to head the opposite direction though. It is a nice scenic loop, enjoy!

Comment

• lemonhead24
          lemonhead24 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the post. Let me clarify. My current plan is a clockwise pemi loop including N. Twin, Zealand, and West Bond (of course). I would like to camp day 1 near Galehead and leave the climb up S. Twin for the morning. If I'm feeling up to it I may want to push onward past Galehead but I don't think I can make Guyot. So I'm looking for good hammock camping between Galehead and Guyot. I've heard there is a campsite just north of S. Twin on the way to N. Twin but I don't think I'll be able to hang a hammock there because of the lack of bigger trees.

Also thanks for the comment about the water. I'd prefer not to carry more than I need.

Have you gone yet?

Plenty of places to put a Hammock between Garfield and Galehead. The descent off of Garfield is pretty steep so the further from Garfield's summit the better, likewise, the trip up South Twin is steep & while most of it is treed, it's quite tight. The trees between South & North Twin are tall enough to block any views & some may support a hammock hung low, not ideal but likely doable.

If you get up South Twin, I'd be more prone to camp between South Twin & Guyot, the woods there are the second best place along the ridgelines for a Hammock after Garfield Ridge as you approach Galehead.

The only reason I do Zealand is to check it off a list when you are on a Pemi-loop. There is 200 or so 300 feet ascent to Zealand and then 500 feet back up to Guyot. North Twin and West Bond aren't nearly as bad.

They've been getting a fair amount of rain at the moment. The Garfield Tentsite has water and it's right by the trail. While huts are closed, some have water spigots and Care-takers. Water at the huts is a current VFTT topic, some huts have water that may have a chemical/treated taste so if that's your option, lemonade, Gatorade, Ice tea mix would be recommended Water at Guyot, however it's a bit of a drop from the Bondcliff Trail.

Comment

• Mike P.
          Mike P. commented
          Editing a comment
          Your Welcome, Good luck It's nice to start in the dark as the Lincoln Woods is easy and the lower section of Osseo is easy. (It's not hard anywhere but it does get a bit harder than the beginning) Getting to the ladder/staircase near dawn is nice and getting over Franconia Ridge before the day-hikers get up there is nice too. With the hut closed, no one is getting a head start from the day before. South Twin and the Bonds are some of my favorites as they are more remote than some and because they aren't over 5,000 feet or part of the two big ridges, they get a little less traffic. (Like the ADK, it's on a list or has a great view, people will find it)

• lemonhead24
          lemonhead24 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I plan in starting early and catching the sunrise on either Flume or Liberty. Are they both of those peaks equally good for a sunrise? Good point about beating the day hikers over Franconia Ridge too.

• Mike P.
          Mike P. commented
          Editing a comment
          Liberty is a little better as the large summit rock is above the trees on the Eastern Side of the summit. Flume's Summit has a better Western view down the slide however the trees on the narrow East Ridge are not very tall. I'll reply in the main thread with pictures of the two summits

I'm told Greenleaf has an outdoor spigot, but I'd call AMC and ask if it's working.
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

The first two are of Liberty, the summit rock allows for 360 views, although the northern view is of the higher peaks on the ridge. Most of the pictures from Flume's Summit that I have moved from books to computer are of Liberty which is a mile or so North and west. Liberty is the better summit of the lower two. I've been to Lafayette and Lincoln like a dozen times, Liberty 8 or 9 and Flume only 5 or 6 & I would subclassify myself as peakbagger 1st, then view junkie

Click image for larger version  Name:	Liberty Summit block February 1995.JPG Views:	0 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	507518 Click image for larger version  Name:	Lil Haystack and Lincoln from Liberty June 1997.JPG Views:	0 Size:	15.2 KB ID:	507521 Click image for larger version  Name:	Flume from Liberty June 1997.JPG Views:	0 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	507522
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X