Vermont maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont maps

What do you personally use for paper maps for hiking the 4000 footers in VT? Or do most folks just use internet info for trail descriptions, mileages, trailhead access, etc? I have All-Trails and Avenza maps for my phone, but am having difficulty in finding something like the Nat Geo maps for the Catskills and ADKs. Thanks in advance.

Caltopo, snip, print, waterproof is a pretty cheap solution. As far as published maps go I live in VT and have kind of a collection that I comb through for information in addition to having hiked them each several times (except for Killington which is not in my back yard).

Green Mountain club now offers digital maps for sale. They have 3 waterproof paper maps available for Killington/ Monroe Skyline/ Mansfield regions. Separate from that the Long Trail Guide has descriptions of all of the side trails and LT which covers all 5 peaks and their ascent trails. The maps that are provided with that are not highly detailed of Killington or Ellen/Abraham but those hikes are pretty simple anyway. I think the LT guide used to come with a separate detail map of Mansfield which really does have a lot of options for how to hike it.

Camels Hump and Mansfield are pretty well covered in the map adventures Northern VT map. Their maps are fantastic.

Town of Stowe has a free recreational map with all of the major and minor trails in the Stowe area which includes Mansfield.

As a local, I have lots of suggestions on the "best" way to hike Camels Hump and Mansfield, depending on how much time you have or want to spend hiking and where you're staying. If you're a 46er, nothing in VT is going to be all that challenging from a mileage and elevation gain standpoint, though there is some steep and open stuff that would be fun and challenging for just about anyone here.

Comment

https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-map...d-maps/vermont if that's what you're looking for since you mentioned nat geo.

I usually carry a natgeo photocopy or printout from caltopo in ziploc bag.

Comment

Just grab the maps off trailsnh.com, thatís what I did.

You can hike all 5 VT mountains in 2-3 days, easy-peasy.
        ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 269/552
        Photos & Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by autochromatica View Post

You can hike all 5 VT mountains in 2-3 days, easy-peasy.
          ...if you're lollygagging.

https://www.addisonindependent.com/2...-highest-peaks

Comment

Originally posted by FoulHooked View Post
            Too funny.

That's the way to make them hard. (But the only way.)
            ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 269/552
            Photos & Stuff

Comment

Thanks all. We have four of the five 4k peaks to climb in our quest for the NE115. So we're hoping for the weather to cooperate at some point and allow us to complete Vermont during a 3-day weekend.

Comment

Ellen and Abraham are probably most interestingly done as a traverse on the long trail from Ap gap to Lincoln gap. Each has its own dayhike approach from the West that I've done each twice. I've never done the whole traverse but the Monroe Skyline is well described in VT 50 hikes so I've long aspired to hike them that way. It's a 12 mile traverse so you'd have to do a bit more planning to arrange for a key exchange or car spot. Let me know I might be able to talk my wife into going A quicker way would probably be an out and back from either Lincoln Gap or the Battell Trail and just hike the 3+ miles from Abraham to Ellen out and back.

Camel's Hump can be done about 7 different ways. The most interesting and challenging is a 12 mile/ 4000' elevation gain out and back from the river road in Duxbury. I do this once a year or so as a training hike for NY/NH hikes. From about the 3 mile mark to the 4.5 mile mark is quite open and beautiful. You will see very few dayhikers and the parking lot will not be a mob scene. You will probably see a few thru-hikers on the LT or folks out for a backpack.

Loop hikes from either the East or West are also fantastic, especially if you ascend from the South. IE from the West: Forrest City to wind gap, LT North to summit, descend on Barrows. There are a few spectacular open areas along the approach trail this way and the final push to the summit cone is absolutely awesome. You wrap under the steepest part of the summit cone around on the western flank. Both the Huntington and Couching Lion farm trailheads will be packed on busy summer weekends if the weather is nice. On the other hand, if you're trying to save time, Barrows up and back will get you to Ben and Jerrys with time to spare to make it to the Alchemist

Mansfield quick and interesting- Stowe side- park at the Hellbrook parking lot, ascend via Hellbrook, Adams apple and finally up the LT to the Chin. The Adams' apple summit is just incredibly cool. The view of the Chin from there is awesome. From the Chin, continue South for as long as you want along the ridgeline but descend via the Profanity trail and then the LT North back to route 108 and hoof it back up the road to your car. I think that part of the LT has been re-routed here very recently so I'm hoping not too much longer or too much ski area parking lot is involved...

From the West most folks go up and back on Sunset Ridge from the Underhill State Park (which has camping but parking costs a few bucks). Super interesting and fun trail with lots of open areas for the last mile. I'm not a huge fan of the Laura Cowles Trail as a short loop option. Did it once in the dark as a descent and it was just any other steep trail in the woods. I think some folks take the CCC road to Maple Ridge to the Forehead and then up to the Chin. I've never done that but it would be interesting. Probably about 4 miles of mostly open hiking along that kind of loop.

From the Southwest, the forehead has its own trail system of very excellent trails and features accessed out of the Stevensville Trailhead. The main way up is Butler Lodge to LT North to open ridgeline approach to the summit. There is a section with huge boulders/ open slabs and ladders about a mile from the forehead that is really interesting. Once on the forehead, the Chin is a relatively flat 2 mile ridge walk along a series of different stuff including a section of road and the surreal experience of people (in white tennis sneakers/jorts/ fill in the blank not hiking gear) who've ascended the toll road. The ridgeline parallel trails of the Subway and Canyon are gnarly boulder fields with caves and stuff. Coming down by way of Maple Ridge is very open for a while but the Rock Garden trail and the Wampahoofuls trails are super fun (boulders/ caves etc.)

Comment

• Blowdown Gang
                  Blowdown Gang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow, thanks for all the great info! We are definitely planning to do Abe / Ellen as a thru-hike so I will let you know when we are going. We have a couple of friends who will likely be joining us as well and can help with car-spotting.
              Working...
              X