Catskill questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catskill questions

I need clarification. With a friend, we plan to spend about 10 days in the Catskills region to complete the list of 3500 (11 completed).
    We are available from April 24 to May 16. Here are my questions:

1. According to you, the best dates in this period? (to avoid snow; mud, etc.)

2. Can you suggest us a place to stay or a village? We are looking more for a motel or Rbnb.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by charles View Post
    We are available from April 24 to May 16. Here are my questions:

1. According to you, the best dates in this period? (to avoid snow; mud, etc.)
    Not a huge window for much weather variability. Probably less snow later. Mud will depend on snow and rain so...more snow/ice on the trail = less mud? Or more snowmelt = more mud? Or earlier snow melt = more time for mud to dry? It's probably going to be snowy and/or muddy. But hey, at least it's not the adirondacks...?

Comment

The later, the better, to avoid snow (in general).

But, the end of your range might start to have black flies and nettles being an issue.

Mud season is not a huge problem in the Catskills (IMHO).

Southern approaches dry out faster.

There's a place on Rt. 28 called the Slide Mountain Motel, or the Snowed Inn up in Tannersville.

Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
      Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Like Tom said. Try and plan your peaks with the southern exposures first. I have rarely used snowshoes after May 1st, or any traction. But conditions change daily.

Comment

Working...
        X