5 state viewpoints???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 state viewpoints???

It has long been claimed that you can see 5 states from WHP; NH, Vermont, Mass, Conn, and New York. I have used good binos and have seen, what I thought to be the Whites, but I can't say for sure. This past Wednesday, while on Westkill at Bucks Ledge, I could see the Green Mts, to the left of the Black Heads, what I think to be Graylock to the right of Arizona, Conn over the Hudson to the south east and to the left of the Gap where the Hudson goes by Breakneck Ridge, and finally, by going way out on the ledge I thought I saw High Point NJ to the far right(south). I did not have optics to confirm this. Nor did I think to take a bearing to check on my mapping program, as I did when I spotted what I thought to be the Whites. Any thoughts?

Got curious. I recall the Rt 23 pull off. Tried Peakfinder unsuccessfully. Found several recent links. None say what exactly in NH seen. It could be some view through a Mt pass. Or Mt Washington. I’d take a spotting scope and a compass and a list of bearings. Maybe the radio tower on Mt Washington can be picked out first if that’s what’s visible.

https://www.greatnortherncatskills.c...-state-lookout
    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-27-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

In the early 60's I ate there a couple times. Sunday after church dinners all dressed up with Grandma. I was not happy but liked the small tower with coin operated binoscopes(?). A map showed what you were seeing. I think they gave me a few dimes to disappear. Looking back, I don't believe NH was visible as claimed from that elevation. But who knows? More recently, I have picked a day in mid spring, when the snow is gone in the Cats and the Greens, but still present in the Whites. From the eastern VP on WHP, with good optics and very clear conditions. And bearings. A small area of what appears to be snow can be seen in the direction of Albany and through a gap in the Greens. I have been back with a spotting scope and tripod, but it was too hazy in that direction. On Westkill the other day I realized there might be other spots around to see 5 states. I wonder if there is anything like this in the ADK's? Two provinces and 3 states? Lyon Mt.comes to mind.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Three Lyon Mts in NY. 1 The one you are thinking of. 2 in Delaware County and 3 in Columbia County.
        Stumbled on that when I was seeing Catskill Peaks in Peak Finder.

• Hear the Footsteps
        Hear the Footsteps commented
        Editing a comment
        Lyon Mt, Clinton County. I've been there three times. Once with Claudia to finish her ADK 100 Highest on Averill. That trip to Averill was an early December adventure. Long in time and there was snow that was unhelpful on the way there but very helpful (tracks) on the return. And all by compass (my GPS screen went haywire). But we passed a viewpoint that had a path to it from near the Tower that is on the W side of the summit and this comes up below.

My recollection of Lyon is that the trees are on the N to W side of the Tower may block the view toward Ottawa (even on the Tower) which is about 100 miles away. When you see a city lit at the expected compass bearing you'll know you've seen ON. There's a view on the West side of Lyon mentioned above that should allow sighting toward Ontario (leaned on the trip to Averill).

Five States and Provinces
        ON. ON is very flat. Should see Ottawa. 100 miles away. Not 100% sure but may have to walk to West side of ridge to a viewpoint mentioned above. Or could see on the descent for which the old trail was straight up the northerly face. The top of that trail is still there even after the ADK re-route. On the day w/ Claudia we ran into two that took the old trail the whole way.
        QC. Montreal (Mt Royal) should be visible. Mt Royal and the city is 60 miles away. I never noticed it but didn't make a point of that nor did I prepare with a bearing. If not Mt Orford and others among those in the QC ski areas.
        NY. Obvious.
        VT. Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield and many others.
        NH. Mt Moosilauke seems most prominent. Also 4000 footers Mt Cabot, Mt Madison, Mt Osceola, Mt, South Kinsman.

Don
        Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-29-2021, 09:14 PM.

From BLM, we can see NY, PA, NJ, CT and MA, or at least I think we can, http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=KRP8C55K
      Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
      Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• mudhook
        mudhook commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes sense to me.

Drew a line in Caltopo from Windham to Mt Washington.
      Bearing approx 45.5 true/58.7 mag. 198.7 miles
      May work. Not many obstructions when following the line. Line north of Ascutney VT(954 m).
      Line goes through the Wiley Range between Mt Field(1301 m) and Mt Wiley(1306 m).
      Mt Washington is 1916 m + add on the towers.
      Haven’t worked out the trig. But just sketching out seems would work out.

P.S. I thought of Monadnock but plotting on Caltopo seems to me it would be blocked by Mt Greylock.
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-27-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• mudhook
        mudhook commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I did a few years back. I went up again this afternoon but there was too much haze at that distance. I was using 60* mag from memory so I guess we are on the right track.

Mt Washington, NH
      All the mountains found in Peakfinder. 6 States and Provinces.
      Took a bit to find a MA peak. I think Greylock would be blocked.

1-NH, of course.
      2-Old Speck, ME
      3-Wachusett, MA (611 m)
      4-Camels Hump, VT; Mount Mansfield, VT
      5-Whiteface, NY (Will be just to the right of Camels Hump, VT)
      6-Mt Orford (QC); Mt Megantic (QC)
      Ontario is very flat topography. Closest point is 160 mi. Ottawa Skyline 230 mi
      Conn. Highest Peaks behind Greylock

Comment

Lyon Mt, Clinton County. Good Choice.

Six States and Provinces. Except for skylines of Montreal and Ottawa (obviously) all can find in Peakfinder.

ON. ON is very flat. Should see Ottawa. 100 miles away. Trees on the side of the summit toward Ottawa; so, would have to see from the tower, or from the trail, or from a viewpoint on the west side of the summit. Much of what's in view includes the plains in ON.

QC. Montreal (Mt Royal) should be and is said to be visible. Mt Royal and the city is 60 miles away. I never tried hard to see and hadn't brought optics when I'd climbed it. Otherwise, should be able see Mt Orford (853 m), Roundtop and LePinacle (712 m and close).

NY. Obvious.

VT. Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield and many others.

NH. Mt Moosilauke seems most prominent in Peakfinder. Also 4000 footers Mt Cabot, Mt Madison, Mt Osceola, Mt, South Kinsman.

ME: Old Speck seen in peak finder. Left of Cabot (NH). Also, in Peakfinder find Jay Peak (VT, 1177) and tallest to left is Snow Mt (ME, 1198 m) right beside and left of Mt Snow is Mt Gosford (QC, 1193 m).

Don
        Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-30-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
          ....... and finally, by going way out on the ledge I thought I saw High Point NJ to the far right(south). I did not have optics to confirm this. Nor did I think to take a bearing to check on my mapping program, as I did when I spotted what I thought to be the Whites. Any thoughts?
          I had binoculars with me the first time on Westkill in 2002. Could definitely make out High Point, NJ.

I've wondered if you'd be able to see the memorial tower on Greylock from Windham? Guess I'll have to start carrying the binocs again.

Comment

• mudhook
            mudhook commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I'll be looking too.

On an achingly clear winter day from the Overlook tower, I was pretty sure I could make out the beginnings of the Whites over the Green Mts. If you throw in MA, VT, CT and NYS that makes 5.
          "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

You can certainly see the Catskills from Greylock...

Mt Monadnock in Keene is prominent from Greylock too but from the catskills you'd have to see over the smaller berkshire peaks..

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
            And death is a long cold rest.
            You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
            Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
            -Pink Floyd

Comment

Slightly off topic from the "5 state view" theme, but I was high up on Gore Mtn. on Wednesday, very clear. Looking east, I could see Black Mtn. prominent in the the foreground. Left of that and farther away I could see the Killington / Pico / Shrewsbury group. Left of that, and MUCH farther away was a nice domed ridge that I think might have been Cardigan in NH.

It would be cool to see Cardigan from Gore; anyone think I have that right?

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
                Slightly off topic from the "5 state view" theme, but I was high up on Gore Mtn. on Wednesday, very clear. Looking east, I could see Black Mtn. prominent in the the foreground. Left of that and farther away I could see the Killington / Pico / Shrewsbury group. Left of that, and MUCH farther away was a nice domed ridge that I think might have been Cardigan in NH.

It would be cool to see Cardigan from Gore; anyone think I have that right?
                Peak Finder doesn't find Cardigan. Neither does the one linked by TFR. Lots in the way.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Gore View.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	515044

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gore View Map.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.5 KB ID:	515045

Peak List
                Blue Ridge VT
                ELE 3234'

Cardigan
                ELE 3146'

Deer Leap
                ELE 2515'

Gore Mt
                ELE 3551'

Killington
                ELE 4213'

Pico
                ELE 3579'

Comment

OK, cool. I don't have peak finder. How about Carr Mtn. north of Rumney? Whatever it was was not Blue Ridge, because it was obviously MUCH farther away than the Killington group; greyed out with distance.

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post
                    OK, cool. I don't have peak finder. How about Carr Mtn. north of Rumney? Whatever it was was not Blue Ridge, because it was obviously MUCH farther away than the Killington group; greyed out with distance.
                    I think it's fair that it doesn't find everything.
                    It didn't find the Whites per-se. Looking at Caltopo in detail one can visualize a lane.

Cardigan would have been just to the right of Blue Ridge. I had to raise the elevation with the slicer bar to see Cardigan. See left side of window for the slider bar it's a vertical version of these characters <>.

Here's the link and as plain text to put in to your browser.
                    It's no charge on a PC. I also use it on my IPAD mini(old one) but for me not nearly as good PC with WIN10.

Gore Mountain - PeakFinder

https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=43.6...ore%20Mountain

Comment

Thanks for the link! Definitely Cardigan. I was at the Saddle, a little over 900m. With the slider at 900m, I can still see Cardigan, left of Pico.

Comment

Working...
                      X