Vandalism at John Robb lean-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vandalism at John Robb lean-to

It's come to my attention that the John Robb lean-to has been vandalized over the last few days. Don't know who the perpetrators are but they spray painted graffiti on a side wall of the shelter and the large rock alongside it. This was an intentional act which is obvious from the numerous colors of paint and words used. If anyone knows anything about this, please contact the DEC region 4 office and direct your comments to Alicia Sullivan. Thanks.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - We know this was done in the last couple of days because I received the fall inspection report from the shelter caretakers earlier this week and nothing was noted in the report. This all just came to my attention yesterday when a hiker stopped at the shelter and discovered the damage.

Its become a destination for mess and now destruction. I took a load of garbage out this spring and others have been cleaning it also. Too easy to get there maybe?

Comment

Seems like the shelter caretakers take out a lot of garbage as well. Too bad that this has become the norm. Unfortunately, the current issue has gone beyond that. Can only hope whoever is responsible will eventually be identified and dealt with.

snapper

Comment

That's quite disturbing . I remember help building it after the old one burned down. We would always stop by on our way up to hunter and admire it.It was a great group effort ,members from here and the Catskill 3500 club along with rangers.I don't quite understand the new breed of hikers that the pandemic unleashed into our wilderness areas.
        "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
        Ralph Ryndak

Comment

Thank you for reporting this....
          Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
          ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Since my original post I've been up in VT but have found out the NY-NJ Trail Conference, in cooperation with DEC, is putting together a volunteer work crew to go up and restain/paint the shelter and to try and clean the boulders. If anyone is interested in helping, you can contact Olivia Sohn in the Trail Conference's Volunteer Office. Her e-mail is: volunteer@nynjtc.org

snapper

Comment

Well they know who did it,he advertised it on his insta gram page. You can go to Catskill Mountain trail conditions on facebook it's all there. No reason why the authorities can't find him.Looks like he has tagged a bunch of places and is proud of it.
              "You are never really alone in the mountains. Something is there ,and you will find it in yourself "
              Ralph Ryndak

Comment

• mudhook
                mudhook commented
                Editing a comment
                And he said next time he was driving directly to the spot !

• Hear the Footsteps
                Hear the Footsteps commented
                Editing a comment
                mudhook. That's bold talking. Like asking to be caught?

• tcd
                tcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad they know who did it. Hopefully justice can be served.

(Don't like the use of the word "tagged." It's a euphemism, specifically developed to make "vandalized with graffiti" seem like something that is OK, or maybe even good.)

On Facebook Catskills Trails Conditions and on Instagram @adkfunpolice there are or were LENGTHY discussions about this and the perpetrator confessed to the crime and even gave his address. I for one find it unacceptable if the DEC does not prosecute this person to the maximum penalty allowed. He shows no remorse for his actions, saying he's a "vandal" and that's what he does and "no one is coming for me". It's disrespectful to the good people who are going to be volunteering to clean this mess up if they do not make an example of this person!

Comment

If you're not on Facebook, you missed all the action regarding this vandalism. The vandal apparently had remorse enough to merit returning to the scene of the crime, but in perhaps a not unexpected misguided manner, drove his car up the Hunter Mountain ski slope service road to the Lean To, where he proceeded to power sand the Lean To in an attempt to remove his spray paint, all while waxing rhapsodic on his views of nature and graffiti. All of this was streamed live on his Instagram(since removed). The video concluded with him being lead down the mountain in his car by the DEC, as they had to come up the mountain to rescue him from a snowdrift where he had gotten stuck in his car. Charges have been filed. You can't make this stuff up!

Comment

In today's on line edition of the Times Union. https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...P-CP-Spotlight

Comment

• gebby
                    gebby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hear the Footsteps, maybe bravothename will turn this in to a career as a consultant to the ski industry, advising them on how to prevent people with compact SUVs driving to the top of their mountains! Glass is half full!

• Hear the Footsteps
                    Editing a comment
                    Made the Sunday "Print Edition of the Times Union." Front page too. The account there states this guy got stuck on the way out. So he got to some elevation in his vehicle that's not given. I doubt we'll get the details from the Ranger Highlights, never do.
                    Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 11-07-2021, 04:43 PM.

• gebby
                    gebby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rick Karlin owes me a beer. I put him wise to the breaking story! :P

Originally posted by gebby View Post
                  If you're not on Facebook, you missed all the action regarding this vandalism. The vandal apparently had remorse enough to merit returning to the scene of the crime, but in perhaps a not unexpected misguided manner, drove his car up the Hunter Mountain ski slope service road to the Lean To, where he proceeded to power sand the Lean To in an attempt to remove his spray paint, all while waxing rhapsodic on his views of nature and graffiti. All of this was streamed live on his Instagram(since removed). The video concluded with him being lead down the mountain in his car by the DEC, as they had to come up the mountain to rescue him from a snowdrift where he had gotten stuck in his car. Charges have been filed. You can't make this stuff up!
                  There something wrong with that narrative, as you can not drive to the leanto from the ski center. You only get within about 2 miles that way. You could drive there from Spruceton Road, *IF* you ran over a barrier. Either way, I'm glad he's in the justice system now.

Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
                  Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
                  Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
                  Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
                  CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• gebby
                    gebby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not sure how close he got to the Lean To. All I can tell you Tom is that I watched his Instagram video as he drove up Hunter Mountain, right beneath some snow guns, so he was definitely on the mountain. If you would like to watch it, for some strange reason, he still has it up on Instagram at "bravothename". I'm sure he didn't drive right up to the Lean To, but he did somehow drive a good way up the ski slope.

There was a followup article in the Times Union yesterday by Rick Karlin. In the article, the perpetrator was interviewed and showed the first signs of contrition. Less likely the contrition was spontaneous and more likely triggered by the misdemeanors he was charged with. The DEC posted pics of the repainted lean to that covered the graffiti, but I have no idea what they were able to accomplish with the painted rock.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
                    Editing a comment
                    I found the article in yesterday's TU. As per the account, this guy made it to the top of the main chairlift in the 4WD vehicle he'd rented (add that to the fine). Quoting: "On the way back, a webcam on the ski mountain spotted his vehicle that had gotten stuck in a snowbank at the top of the Kaaterskill Flyer chairlift."

The rock looks pretty good now, from f.b. pictures.
                  Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
                  Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
                  Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
                  Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
                  CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

• gebby
                    gebby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Where did you see those Tom? I've only seen pics of the lean to being painted.

Maybe his lawyer told him a Class A Misdemeanor is punishable with 364 days in jail and/or $1000 fine.

Maybe he's going to hang up his spray paint cans and find another avocation, or limit his activities to Brooklyn.

Comment

So sad.. keep our nature clean, people.

Comment

Working...
                    X