Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Fatality at Kaaterskill Falls

https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/bo...terskill-falls

Very sad, and this keeps happening, in spite of new trails, new view points, parking restrictions, fencing, etc.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views And Brews

Very sad.

So the Quality Manager in me says: When a problem recurs despite "corrective action" being put in place, that means you have not addressed the true root cause.

No doubt, some will insist that "human error" is the cause. Quality guru W. Edwards Deming teaches us that human error is the cause of failure perhaps 15% of the time, whereas the management system is the cause of failure perhaps 85% of the time.

Is anyone at DEC thinking about root cause? (Is anyone at DEC thinking at all?)

Comment

If I was going to commit suicide and still have my family collect my life insurance I would go here. No one would ever suspect
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tcd View Post

Tragic falling deaths at scenic vistas are a new global trend in the wake of selfie/social media tourism. Unfortunately, I believe the only corrective action is the untimely death of those who disregard the safety regulations in order to get that perfect selfie for Instagram. You can only make the world so safe.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the DEC bureaucracy either, (I am a huge fan of the Forest Rangers), BUT...

NY's highest waterfall is about .25 miles from the nearest road. At peak, over 1,000 people per day visited last year. Does that mixture sound like a problem could happen once in a while?

The state DID take action.

They built a huge new parking lot.

They closed off the unsafe parking lot below the falls.

They built a new trail that takes visitors away from the dangerous areas.

They put up fences.

They added signs.

They installed a viewing area on a very safe (wheel chair accessible) path.

There are stewards (although not on duty this time of year).

Short of a 30 foot wall around the entire area, what else do you suggest?

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Of course the state "took actions." I did not say that the state did not take actions.

My point is that the continuing recurrence (and even a recent increase in frequency) of a problem indicates that the actions (no matter how many, how expensive, or how well intentioned) did not address the root cause of the problem.

I am not trying to suggest any more "actions" until they understand the cause; taking a flurry of actions without understanding the cause is how we got here.

I am suggesting that the state spend some effort to understand the cause, so that they can take actions that will be effective.

Comment

I am suggesting that the state spend some effort to understand the cause, so that they can take actions that will be effective.
              All of the actions seem quite reasonable to me.

If this person had stayed on trail, he would still be alive.

CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Working...
              X