Catskills Strategic Plan Advisory Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catskills Strategic Plan Advisory Group

NYSDEC has announced the creation of an Advisory Group for the Catskill region. Similar to the Adirondack High Peaks Advisory Group.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2a71895

No hiking groups involved, interesting.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      I think no on hiking groups. Initially the ADK weren’t involved even though they represent hikers and own property in the interior(JBL) and a gateway (HPIC/ADK Loj). Though neither Elk Lake or OSI were involved but they own three gateways.
      Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 10-26-2020, 05:01 PM.

• Blowdown Gang
      Blowdown Gang commented
      Editing a comment
      NYNJTC does trail maintenance in the Catskills.

That said, the 3500 Club should have been included too.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget Melodie Mendez, Outings Leader Latino Outdoors.

The very scary thing about this is that now that it has been created, they will feel the need to do things - big things that will get noticed - regardless of if they actually need to be done. I'm hopeful this will not lead to negative changes in the Catskills.
    To Go and to See
    Is to Know and to Be

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      I know what you mean. Just look at what thinking does at the location of The Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge. Yeah, let's lose 6 feet of space on the bridge by putting 1600 tons of jersey barriers on it to give people a "secure" place to walk, that no one seems to use. Its noticed, that's for sure.

I too feel this is not good news.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Now, the walkway over the Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge has been opened. It did just sit there seemingly ready forever, But yes, now, walkers have been seen, so it is actually a bit active now.

The blight spreads quickly.
    46/46, 20/46w "I only went out for a walk, and concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." John Muir

Comment

Looking at the list of names, the makeup of this group appears to be very similar to the makeup of the High Peaks Strategic Advisory committee, and the group looks reasonably balanced.

That's not going to matter, though; I expect the output, after being processed through Albany, will basically be another rubber stamp of what Albany is already doing. These groups are empaneled not to provide new input, but to provide political cover. So I would not worry about anything changing for the worse as a result of this group's work; but I would not expect anything to change for the better, either.

But maybe, eventually, one of these groups will prove me to be wrong...

Comment

• mudhook
        mudhook commented
        Editing a comment
        True, with the exception that the Catskills are also influenced by the NYCDEP, who fund many organizations through a complex maze of corporations. It is all about the water, their water..
    Working...
    X