Best 3 day, 2 night hike with dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 3 day, 2 night hike with dog?

My husband and I are planning to do a 3 day/2 night backpacking trip in the Catskills this weekend and we're bringing our dog, who's a medium-sized terrier. We are all three (including the dog) fairly experienced hikers and have done several overnights before. This will be the first time doing a 2 nighter in the Catskills and we want to make the most of it.

Since we just have 1 car, we would need them trip to be a loop or a base camp. At first we figured we would do the Wittenberg Cornell Slide loop, but after further research we aren't sure if it's the best plan, especially since we will be with our dog (and will have packs on). We have heard that it's tough for dogs, especially with the steep scrambles.

Does anyone else have suggestions? We are considering Echo Lake / Indian Head Wilderness, but aren't sure if it will be enough bang for our buck so to speak. Are there enough trails nearby if we basecamped at Echo Lake to spread over 3 days? Ideally we would do about 5 or so miles/day.

Would really love any advice or recommendations for a solid 2 night trip. Thanks in advance!

Camping at Echo Lake will keep you busy for days

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Rattlesnakes could be a factor, in a pandemic, no less.

The escarpment trail would be my choice. It is an awesomely beautiful trail. Many peakbaggers, including myself until recently, do not hike the trail because it seems too much work for only two high peaks. But don't miss this gem of a trail.

Comment

Thank you for your input! We had heard about the rattlesnakes at Echo Lake (and the bugs). Are the snakes so common that it's a deterrent to doing the hike?

We will look into the Escarpment trail. It looks beautiful. We only have one car, thoughsthough, we would likely only be able to just do part of it given our timeframe. Would that work? Thanks again!

Comment

• CatskillKev
        CatskillKev commented
        Editing a comment
        Its hard to say about the snakes. They tend to be the yellow morph, which is not my favorite. And the fangs aren't that great either.

Sorry I missed your point about having only one car. The escarpment would be tough without a second car. You could hike up to Dutcher's Notch from the trail head on Stork's Nest Road or from Colgate Rd., find a camp site, on the second day go north to Blackhead, on the third day hike over to North Point, return back to Dutcher's Notch and back down to your car. There is a water source 0.25 miles east from Dutcher's Notch and also in the Colgate Lake area but not much else.

There are some nice loops over near Margaretville if you want to go that far. Look at Pakatakan Mt, Dry Brook Ridge and the Huckleberry South Trail. One caveat though, when I did that loop a couple years ago, the Huckleberry South Trail was somewhat overgrown in spots and I lost the trail several times. I didn't mind that challenge but you should be prepared to do a little route finding (map, compass, GPS). It might be different now.

Comment

Bring microspikes just in case.The route up Blackhead is often ice covered until late spring. I would not be surprised to still find some ice. It can be quite treacherous.
        Have fun.

Comment

• CatskillKev
          CatskillKev commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard there's no need for microspikes, not that there ever is need for microspikes. Its almost a heat wave now.
      Working...
      X