Peekamoose Parking On CR 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peekamoose Parking On CR 42

I am hoping to get out to Catskills this weekend and would like to do Peekamoose and Table Mt from the CR 42 parking area (near Blue Hole area). Last year someone had given me a list of parking areas in Catskills and how/if they are maintained (DEC, State, Town, etc). According to that list the lot for Peekamoose is plowed by the DEC so it doesn't necessarily get plowed right away but is maintained. Was just trying to get some updated info on the status of that lot. I don't see many trip reports for Peekamoose and it appears that those people came in from the NW via Denning.

So if anyone has current info on this trail head it would be appreciated. Obviously I will monitor weather for changes that might make any info out of date. Thanks
    in advance.

EDIT: Almost forgot, what would be the best brewery in that area?

I know nothing about the parking lot but snow is expected this weekend. The general decision on a local brewery is. Any

Comment

I have a pinmap of brewpubs for ny state here: http://viewsandbrews.com/ny
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• DayTrip
        DayTrip commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent! I think I am actually on that Facebook group. Recommended by someone on VFTT. Duh. That map is perfect. Thanks.

It's been my experience that the parking area there is reliably plowed.
      To Go and to See
      Is to Know and to Be

Comment

• DayTrip
        DayTrip commented
        Editing a comment
        OK. Thanks. Looks like the weather is going to play spoiler for me yet again this weekend. I live in NE CT. :( But that is good info for next time.

So I'm looking at this again for SAT. Looks like the poor weather will be done by SAT morning. Looking like it is going to be mostly rain and ice. Any recent info on conditions in the area - snow depth, ice, etc? Not much for trip reports here but it sounds like there is little to no snow below 3000 ft and open water crossings. Kinda sad but I'm almost hoping everything is coated in ice because that can make for amazing views when the sun hits everything. Any info on the local conditions would be appreciated.

And as a side question, Tom's Views And Brews map shows Woodstock Brewing as pretty close by. Good spot? Will I feel like an idiot walking in there in hiking clothes? Looks like a pretty solid beer list and they have food too.

Comment

Woodstock is pretty casual, lots of people dressed as skiers and hikers.

For my money, they have good beer, but somewhat limited food options.
        Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
        Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
        Past President Catskill 3500 Club
        CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• DayTrip
          DayTrip commented
          Editing a comment
          Food choices were limited but fine for post hike stuff - quesadillas, tacos, burgers. Beer list looked great though. I'm a dark beer drinker at this time of year and they had a Baltic Porter and an Imperial Stout on the list, both are favorites of mine. Thanks for the info. Some of the breweries in my area, being more urban locations, can be pretty......uh...pretentious.

Originally posted by DayTrip View Post
        So I'm looking at this again for SAT. Looks like the poor weather will be done by SAT morning. Looking like it is going to be mostly rain and ice. Any recent info on conditions in the area - snow depth, ice, etc? Not much for trip reports here but it sounds like there is little to no snow below 3000 ft and open water crossings. Kinda sad but I'm almost hoping everything is coated in ice because that can make for amazing views when the sun hits everything. Any info on the local conditions would be appreciated.

And as a side question, Tom's Views And Brews map shows Woodstock Brewing as pretty close by. Good spot? Will I feel like an idiot walking in there in hiking clothes? Looks like a pretty solid beer list and they have food too.
        Last weekend there was no snow or ice low. In elevation both increased. The weather last night/today and the next 3 days will change/improve everything. Tho water crossings may be a mess.

Comment

• DayTrip
          DayTrip commented
          Editing a comment
          "Low" as in I won't need snowshoes? I'm thinking about bringing my good camera and a tripod so if I can ditch the weight of snowshoes that would be a plus. (I generally always have spikes, crampons and snowshoes on all my Winter hikes unless I can verify it is highly unlikely I would need). I was out on Mt Race in MA last weekend and there was very little snow, maybe 2" maximum in the 2300' or so elevation.

Low as in elevation. There was little to no snow low. But as elevation increased so did snow depth. I'd bring the snowshoes and something for ice.

Comment

• DayTrip
          DayTrip commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I knew what you meant. Probably shouldn't have used the same word to describe snow depth too. Thanks.

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
        Low as in elevation. There was little to no snow low. But as elevation increased so did snow depth. I'd bring the snowshoes and something for ice.
        I hiked Peekamoose, Table, Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, Friday, Cornell, Wittenberg, and Slide on 1/28. Spikes were sufficient. I put on the spikes at my car and didn't take them off until I made it to the parking area. Starting at the Peekamoose Blue Hole parking area.

On 02/04 I hiked Peekamoose, Table, Lone, Rocky, Balsam Cap, and Friday starting from the Peekamoose Blue Hole parking area. What a difference a week made! Spikes were kept in my pack until the balanced rock at the first good overlook on Peekamoose. From there on I used spikes the rest of the way. Snowshoes were not needed at any point.

This "storm" does not seem to be leaving much/any snow. DayTrip, you should be fine leaving the snowshoes and taking your camera gear.
        To Go and to See
        Is to Know and to Be

Comment

• DayTrip
          DayTrip commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent. Thanks for the update!

Thanks all for the info. Wound up getting out there SAT and conditions were pretty much exactly as described. Barebooted to just below the outlook with the balancing rock. Pretty much no snow and only occasional very small ice patches camouflaged by dusting of snow making for the occasional surprise slip. Switched to spikes there until the first official outlook on the ridge. The ice on that climb was very hard and with a skim coat of snow I was slipping quite a bit in my spikes so I went to crampons. The open flats heading to the summit had 4-6 inches of fresh fluffy powder and then the short steeps to the summit had really hard ice again. Wound up just doing Peeekamoose because there was a lot of low level clouds flurrying all day which obscured the already limited views and filtered out the sun. Wore crampons all the way back to the balancing rock, which was overkill except for the few steep. icy areas but I didn't really feel like switching back. I think I freaked out most of the people going up. They all asked about conditions up ahead so I had to explain to everyone that I was being a bit ridiculous. It all worked out though. I found myself at Woodstock Brewing at 12:15 PM and got a seat at the bar right before the place filled up. Definitely good beer and food. I wish I had taken the time to map that out before. Now that I know where it is I didn't realize how many times I had driven by it in the past.

Comment

Working...
        X