Cy Whitney - sad news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cy Whitney - sad news

Hello all - I'm posting this here in case anyone on the forum knew Cy.

Cyrus Belknap Whitney, 92, Club member #266 and 93W, died peacefully at home on June 7th. Cy was the second Membership Chairman of the Catskill 3500 Club after Elinore Leavitt and President from 1986-87. A long-time hiker, he was also a member of the Adirondack Mountain Club, the Adirondack 46ers (#2053) and past Officer and Director of the NYNJ Trail Conference.

He was born in New Bedford, MA in 1926 and served in the US Navy during WW II. After graduating from Middlebury College he spent his career working on Wall Street retiring as a VP of Aubrey G. Langston & Co. For more than 40 years he was an Adult leader of the Boy Scouts. In later years he enjoyed playing duplicate Bridge where he was everyone’s favorite “House Player.” He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Eileen, their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

The solo photo of Cy is from his 3500 regular finish Jan 23, 1978 on Slide Mountain. The other shot is from the summit of Noonmark in the Adirondacks. He is with his long time hiking friend Roy Messaros.

thank you for posting, Maria!

If anyone has any personal recollections they would like to share, please contact me at editor@catskill-3500-club.org prior to August 15th, 2019 - or please feel free to share them here! many thanks!
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

I was saddened to hear this in the email sent by the Club. I didn't really know Cy, but corresponded with him via snail mail in the mid 90's.

Comment

RIP Cy Whitney

Thanks for posting the images - amazing photo of the Slide Mountain summit, so open, it looked very different 40 years ago

Comment

Working...
        X