Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blackhead Range with an overnight at Batavia Kill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhead Range with an overnight at Batavia Kill?

Hello all. Relatively new to the area, and thinking of hiking the Blackhead Range on some weekend this summer. The plan is to drive in after work on a Friday, get in to the Batavia Kill lean-to and accompanying campsites before dark, and then do the full hike on Saturday. I'm curious as to the popularity of that lean-to, especially on a Friday night, as I see that there are only two designated campsites nearby and the lean-to seems small. We sometimes have a (well behaved) dog with us, so as a rule we only camp at designated campgrounds. Is this a lightly trafficked lean-to/campsite, or do we run the risk of showing up shortly before nightfall only to find that the whole thing is full?

In case your reference is out of date, the leanto has been moved further up the trail. The new leanto is probably the same size as the old one, and almost all Catskill leantos are roughly the same size, FWIW.

I have seen quite a few campers in this area at times. If the leanto is full (6), there are a lot of informal camping sites in this area, but make sure you follow the rules (150 feet from water or trail), or you risk a ticket.

There is nothing wrong with camping here as a base (there is a stream near the shelter, but no spring, afaik), but IMHO, all 3 blackheads can be done as a fairly moderate day hike. You will need to back track a little to retrieve your gear, unless you schlep it up with you to all 3 peaks.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

The lean to is popular. There is also free camping on the other side of the BH's by Colgate Lake, almost car camping.

Comment

• beastofexmoor
        beastofexmoor commented
        Editing a comment
        22 minute drive to the Barnum Road trailhead... and I can take my paddleboard with me! YAY! Definitely doing this.

Originally posted by TFR View Post
      In case your reference is out of date, the leanto has been moved further up the trail. The new leanto is probably the same size as the old one, and almost all Catskill leantos are roughly the same size, FWIW.

I have seen quite a few campers in this area at times. If the leanto is full (6), there are a lot of informal camping sites in this area, but make sure you follow the rules (150 feet from water or trail), or you risk a ticket.

There is nothing wrong with camping here as a base (there is a stream near the shelter, but no spring, afaik), but IMHO, all 3 blackheads can be done as a fairly moderate day hike. You will need to back track a little to retrieve your gear, unless you schlep it up with you to all 3 peaks.
      This is really helpful, thanks! The suggestion from mudhook that there's camping nearby is also great. I basically just want to be staying very close to the trailhead (if not on the trail itself) and paying as little as possible for accommodations. I have no problem schlepping gear .

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
        The lean to is popular. There is also free camping on the other side of the BH's by Colgate Lake, almost car camping.
        One question about this campsite: how far from the parking lot are the campsites? Asking for bear-bagging vs. put-stuff-bears-may-find-curious-in-the-car purposes.

Comment

Working...
        X