Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neversink River crossing from Biscuit Brook Trailhead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neversink River crossing from Biscuit Brook Trailhead?

I'm looking to hit the Wildcat Range in early April and am considering an approach from the Biscuit Brook trailhead. Any idea on whether the Neversink crossing will be feasible that time of year? Is fording an option? I've never seen the water there so I don't have a good sense of how deep and/or fast it is. If crossing is out of the question, I would just continue driving an extra 30 min and hit them from the Denning trailhead.
    From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Its a crap shoot, with the amount of snow this year water could be high. I've exited there and gotten wet. Frost Valley property but they will charge for the day. You can also do them from the junction of the C&O trail with a car spot, which makes a nice hike. From Denning is also nice, and no water crossing. The whole ridge is a beautiful walk when the wildflowers are out, but that's not til May.

Comment

Another way not to hit it would be to park at Slide Mountain Parking Area, walk to Denning, head up on the ridge where you like and then follow ridge to Curtis Ormsbee Monument.
      I might be kidding...

Comment

I used the garbage bag method a few Decembers ago, it worked well.
        46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

When I hiked the Wildcats I parked at the Slide Mtn parking area, took the trails up until it seemed like a logical jumping-off point, hiked East Wildcat, then West Wildcat, then headed directly downhill. I hit the Neversink, waded across, and arrived on the road. It is possible to stay entirely on State Land using this route. Unfortunately this was in a torrential thunderstorm, but overall it was a beautiful hike. I'm planning to head back up to the Wildcats in the near future and will likely take the same route.
          To Go and to See
          Is to Know and to Be

Comment

We've climbed the Wildcats from Denning, from Slide/Curtis Ormsbee junction, and from Biscuit Brook. As Yana mentioned, garbage bags work well. You may also be able to find a tree to shimmy across. I usually just take my socks and boots off and walk across. With all the melting snow, the crossing might be treacherous right now. I would go with CatskillKev's suggested route.

Comment

Crocs could also be used to ford the stream. They could protect you from a sharp rock.
              Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
              Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
              Past President Catskill 3500 Club
              CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Thanks all for the input!
                From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

Working...
                X