New signage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New signage

Saw this sign posted at a "nonpeak" trailhead. What does it mean?
    Attached Files

Means the game is changing. Finally!
    Are those state logos in the bottom right hand corner of the sign? And, which trail did you find them on?
    Honestly, as an avid xc and xcd skier in the Catskills, I am very happy to see this new development.

Comment

Where do the post-holers go... down the middle?
      And because of all their tears
      Their eyes can't hope to see
      The beauty that surrounds them
      Isn't it a pity
      -George Harrison

Comment

What happens when a north facing sneetch meets a south facing sneetch?

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
        And death is a long cold rest.
        You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
        Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
        -Pink Floyd

Comment

Do you think this sign was actually made and put up by DEC? Usually, their stuff has their name prominently displayed. If you have a Forest Ranger friend, you might ask if it is legitimate.

Comment

Altbark, After 30+ years of BC skiing in the Catskills and beyond, I learned long ago to appreciate that our trails are for everyone. But, I and others, don't have to be happy about post holing.

The sign posted above indicates that possibly we may see far less post holing. Though snowshoeing does not leave the best track for a skier, you're absolutely right, that too is part of a backcountry skier's life. Especially in the Catskills where there are no down mountain (BC) ski trails such as you'll find in New England or the Adirondacs.

It has been my presumption that most folks who post upon this site understand the concerns other users have concerning the inherent difficulties and dangers created by post holes along our trails.

When and where possible, not walking or snowshoeing in the ski track is a common courtesy which is much appreciated.

I'm still interested in knowing if this sign was found at one of the few ski trail systems that do exist in the Catskills. And, wether it is official signage, or placed by a private citizen, club, township, land owner or such.

And please, why pay for ski tracks? I've been doing just that every year since I started paying NYS Income Tax.

Comment

I both ski and snowshoe. I've never been bothered by snowshoe tracks over ski tracks.

I am bothered by postholers. These people are stupid and lazy and I've seen many a trail just ruined by them.

Comment

This was posted in the Rochester Hlw Kiosk.
                It is a hiking, biking, skiing trail. It is 10' wide. It is also a designated ATV trail for disabled humans, allowing them access to a lean-to.
                We passed hikers, bikers , hunters but no skiers yesterday because of the lack of snow. Everyone seemed to respect the others right to be there.
                IMO it is not official DEC policy or signage. It says PLEASE, not DON"T. There are no rules or regulations in the Catskills like there are in the ADK's about wearing skis or snowshoes. Maybe its just a plea for COURTESY, so all may enjoy safely.

Income tax in NY is used for many things including groomed ski tracks, ski slopes, hiking trails, BC ski trails, swimming lakes, ponds pools, biking trails, hunting , fishing, climbing, boating, camp grounds, lean-tos, picnic areas... the list of recreational uses goes on and on. It also pays for enforcement rescue education training.... the list also goes on and on. Users pay only a small portion of the cost, if any.
                It was encouraging to see the sign, a little resect for each other is not a bad thing.

Comment

Like I said Albark, we're talking about courtesy here. Where upon someone is courteous or gracious to someone else. Sometimes, either party may be responsible for exhibiting such behaviour. Always best when both sides do, eh?

This is NYS, we've got lots of ludicrous, pointless and unenforceable regulations. After all your years coming down here to recreate, you'll agree? For the most part the policy requiring snowshoes or skis in portions of the Adirondack Park has held up. Seems as if at least one other region of the state might be catching on.

That all being said, I'll agree to disagree with you…. a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post
                    This was posted in the Rochester Hlw Kiosk.
                    It is a hiking, biking, skiing trail.
                    Thank you Mudhook. I can only imagine what that sign should look like, with graphics for fat MTB tire prints next to the snowshoe prints, ATV treads up the middle, and skis running up that right side.

RC

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3HMG8IhM
                      I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by mudhook View Post

Income tax in NY is used for many things including groomed ski tracks, ski slopes, hiking trails, BC ski trails, swimming lakes, ponds pools, biking trails, hunting , fishing, climbing, boating, camp grounds, lean-tos, picnic areas... the list of recreational uses goes on and on. It also pays for enforcement rescue education training.... the list also goes on and on. Users pay only a small portion of the cost, if any.
                        It was encouraging to see the sign, a little resect for each other is not a bad thing.
                        Don't forget it goes to rescue post holing hikers when their feet get wet and frostbitten and they can't walk anymore.

I always been struck by the "I have a right to do what I want to the trail, and then you need to deal with the consequences of it" attitude. Very American. Strange to hear it coming from a Canadian.
                        "Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does."

-Rik

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCedar View Post
                          Do you think this sign was actually made and put up by DEC? Usually, their stuff has their name prominently displayed. If you have a Forest Ranger friend, you might ask if it is legitimate.
                          It does appear to have a DEC logo (The OLD one now! ), but that can easily be copied off the 'net.
                          Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
                          Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
                          Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
                          Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
                          CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

TFR et al.
                            I stopped by Tuesday after a session of skiing at Belleayre. In waning light I got a photo capture of the logos in the bottom right hand corner of the sign as seen in Mudhook's photo of same. Yep, three state logos.

It would take some brass for someone other than a state employee to actually go ahead and install this new sign under the plexiglass. But, I guess it is possible.

Comment

Yeah, like the DEC would post sign with a pink border. Wordy, bad grammar, gaudy artwork spells a ruse.

Comment

Working...
                              X