Indian Head and Twin from Prediger Rd, 01/01/2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Head and Twin from Prediger Rd, 01/01/2021

Did the short and sweet "T" from Prediger Rd trailhead.

Bareboot to start with no snow at all on the ground down low and minimal ice on the trail for first 1.5ish miles going up towards Jimmy D Notch.
    Microspikes for last 10mins or so up to the notch junction as the trail quickly became an almost constant floe of thick ice.
    At the junction in the notch i switched to my G10 crampons, as after 4 yrs my microspikes' tiny nubs have been sharpened down to ineffective and mostly unsafe lengths. G10's were perfect for the climb up to Indian Head summit and back down, then up to Twin's closer bump. Lots of thick ice in these areas, with the ice not just covering the ground but rock and tree handholds also, and other hikers i saw in normal microspikes were sketched out at times in certain areas. Few inches of snow at very most up high.
    Left my crampons on til coming down from the notch when the ice floes finally petered out (then i humorously immediately fell on my arse after slipping in bareboots on a tiny bit of ice within steps of being spike-less again).
    "...don't assume you can't do it...we all make mistakes and sometimes fail. Keep working and learning, and be committed to improving fitness, and there is no limit to what you can do." Joe Bogardus
    "I believe it is in our nature to explore, to reach out into the unknown. The only true failure would be not to explore at all." Ernest Shackleton

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good day. I fell a few days ago while hiking on a flat, dry section of trail. Those easy parts can jump up and bite you sometimes!
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      literally had just taken off my spikes, and was saying "ahhhh, feels going to beeeee.....". the word "spikeless" didnt make it out of my mouth due to the extremely sudden posture change from walking to splayed out

I make it a point to hike these in crampons at least once every winter. I so enjoy walking along carrying on a "normal" conversation with some terrorized microspike warrior who really doesn't want to hear it. Even nicer they can't catch me

Comment

• bikerhiker
      bikerhiker commented
      Editing a comment
      if i had gotten my new microspikes by last week i might have been the stubborn one, as gear inertia has probably kept me in microspikes many times when i should have gone to crampons. im glad my old spikes were ineffective enough to make me change to my g10's, as im comfortable moving in full crampons it was a relatively easy walk in the park on the "t" that day on the fewer larger points instead of many tiny nubs
Working...
X