Fir, Big Indian, Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fir, Big Indian, Eagle

A group of seven gathered on Sunday at Burnham Hollow to hike the familiar (to us) clockwise three peak loop. Bare ground at the DEC parking area, but we couldn’t park in there because of a snow berm barrier created by the Burnham Road snow plows. Seems silly.

We hiked in bare boots to about 3,300’ where we affixed all manner of “snowshoes” to make easier progress. We found the snow wonderfully supportive for our rag tag collection of modern diminutive snowshoes and hiked this way until we hit the trail beyond Big Indian. Here we lost footwear consensus as most, but not all, switched to bare boots. The trail had traffic from two days prior and was choppy with a light dusting on top.

Once at Eagle, we reattained footwear consensus with bare boots the choice for our bushwhack descent to McKenley Hollow. Exiting at McKenley saves about a mile over returning to Burnham but mostly we took this route for a bit of variety. We hiked in a really nicely oriented woods road that hikes like a trail for the last mile or so which took us down to the trail register box avoiding all of the high water streams which have been troublesome lately.

Two hikers completed the Single Season Fall 35’R on Big Indian. One of them had the added bonus of simultaneously completing the Catskill High Peaks 4 Seasons. Congratulations and patches were awarded on the spot and a celebratory feast ensued. All dutifully recorded on the Recent Milestone Completions page of the Hikers Anonymous™ website.
    https://hikersanonymous.org/completions.html

specs: 14 snowshoes, two per hiker, mostly MSR with a few Tubbs

I didn't know about that hikers anonymous website. Looks interesting. And I was surprised to see my name there; ..... they must have taken the info from the Rip Van Winkles site. Good to see that someone will continue tracking the Grid since the Rips are disbanding effective this month.

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that CMC took over for the Rips as far as 4 season and the grid patches?

• specs
      specs commented
      Editing a comment
      This site has been keeping track of the Catskill 420 Grid as well as establishing and promoting its Catskill High Peaks 4 Seasons and Single Season 35’R milestones and patches for several years now.

Here’s a description of their milestone and patch program which indicates where those fancy colorful triangle and circle patches originated. They donated a batch of circular 4 Seasons patches to the Rips as a courtesy to distribute to their own members, while Hikers Anonymous makes the patch available to everyone who completes the hikes. The site and the team behind it are active and going strong and many hikers are eagerly awaiting the transition to the best season of them all — Winter!

We are avid Catskill High Peaks hikers and we hike a lot. Many hikers are goal oriented and we think their accomplishments should be recognized and celebrated.

In 2017, the Hikers Anonymous™ Arts and Crafts Department designed and produced a 3” circular embroidered patch, the Catskill High Peaks 4 Seasons patch, to recognize the achievement of climbing each of the 35 Catskill High Peaks in each of the 4 seasons.

In 2019, our Arts and Crafts Department launched a program to recognize the achievement of climbing the 35 Catskill High Peaks in a Single Season. There are four patches in the Single Season 35'R series, one for each of the four seasons. Each patch is a 3" by 1.5" triangle with a unique design representative of the season. Hikers earning multiple patches can arrange them in many creative ways, including a 3” square or a 6” x 3” pyramid.

The nominal fees collected for the Single Season 35'R and Catskill High Peaks - 4 Seasons patches and any other donations to this campaign will be used to fund design and production of future patches, awards and keepsakes as well as to maintain an inventory of existing items and the necessary stamps and stationery to deliver them, thus creating a self-sustaining system whereby patches, awards and keepsakes will be available for hikers in the years to come.

We are Hikers Anonymous™.
      We Hike A Lot. It's Not A Problem. Ha!

May I ask where you guys parked then? did you road walk from McKenley? I imagine trying to dig out a spot from the icy crust would not be easy.

Excellent TR and congrats to the finishers! Someday I will find that woods road, sigh...
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

• specs
      specs commented
      Editing a comment
      We parked at the side of the road in the circle turnaround at the entrance to the private community. I think Mr. Magoo tipped us off to this last year. It’s really curious why this DEC parking area doesn’t get plowed in winter. That would be pretty bad by itself, but to have a bare parking lot made inaccessible by the plow pile of the private community seems very short sighted. Maybe something can be done about this in time for this winter season? After all, it’s far from a secret that the best access to these peaks is from Burnham Hollow.

We spotted exit vehicles at McKenley and drove to Burnham to start the hike. There are a number of woods roads all over that ridge (both sides) but the one we came down (in the dark) on Sunday was extremely pleasant. We discovered it a few months ago (in daylight) on the way up to Eagle.

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      for some reason, there are a number of DEC lots that either don't get plowed or receive less of a priority after the storm. Tom and Laurie compiled the list of who plows what, which is housed on the Club's site (not be entirely all inclusive);

http://catskill-3500-club.org/archiv...parkingH.shtml

it is certainly unfortunate that the lot gets blocked in, whether intentional or not.

thanks for the intel on the woods road. guess we just missed it. perhaps we left the trail after the registration box too early.

The guy that plows that road is a real jerk. I won't go into our encounter with him a couple of winters ago after a snow storm, but ask me in person or privately if you're curious. I will say he hates hikers and out-of-staters, and really HATES out-of-state hikers. He also has a very foul mouth. For ME to say that, you know it's bad, lol. I'd actually like to run into him again ..... I have a few choice words I'd like to personally deliver to him.

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiker all decked out with fancy gear, milk crates, GPS. Yeah, hikers are annoying anymore, even to me. 20 plus years ago, the most annoying thing to see was a guy drenched in sweat with a compass around his neck. Times have changed. I think hikers have more single-minded determination now, too. But, maybe I'm stereotyping. Maybe its me. Of course as technology separates, its like smoking and nonsmoking.

Was the plow guy smoking? I digress, again.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      On the other hand, the DEC is the law right? How does this guy get away with it? Blocking their lot, intentionally? If they don't want to have to investigate, can they just put a sign, "Do not block lot with snow", or is that too weak-sounding of them to make a sign for one person? They might as well just call the guy.

I really don't like this form of promotion called Hikers Anonymous. Hopefully that's self-explanatory. If you don't understand, you never will, because you don't want to (addressed to whoever wants to ask). Lets just say it encourages more hiking. I don't see a need for an increase. How's that? Social hiking, hey I understand, but keep some boundaries, would ya? Sorry, boundaries aren't fun, are they?
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by Blowdown Gang View Post
      The guy that plows that road is a real jerk. I won't go into our encounter with him a couple of winters ago after a snow storm, but ask me in person or privately if you're curious. I will say he hates hikers and out-of-staters, and really HATES out-of-state hikers. He also has a very foul mouth. For ME to say that, you know it's bad, lol. I'd actually like to run into him again ..... I have a few choice words I'd like to personally deliver to him.
      HOLY CRAP! you definitely piqued my interest and I will ask
      46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

LOL, plow drivers hate hikers, everyone knows that
        I presume you are talking a town or county plow truck? That can be cured( attitude) with a simple call and complaint to the Town or County.
        The road is not private until the 2nd gateway ?, the lot is DEC and is not on their list of things to do, I have never seen it plowed.
        It may be apparent to some of you that this is a difficult access to access, I don't think the club was happy about having to give a narrow strip when they sold off most of their property, otherwise it would have been better marked and much clearer on how to cross their lands. Oh well, bring a shovel.

Comment

The guy was "plowing", if you want to call it that, with one of those small bobcat type of machines. His partner, plowing with his pickup truck (unmarked), was very friendly and apologized for the guy's behavior. It was a very odd morning.

Comment

Working...
          X