Rider Hollow Loop for Balsam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider Hollow Loop for Balsam

Sunday. 3 of us. Bluebird day. First ones in the lot maybe around 8 a.m. I can't remember. 8-10" of fresh powder. 15 early on. Red trail first. We dumped some gear at the shelter to hang out at after.

Looks like there was somebody's tracks from the day before on Saturday but they were snowed in. Broke Trail from the lot up to the junction. At the junction there were tracks from McKenley Hollow and going up Balsam to the summit and viewpoint. Two ladies, but then they reversed course after lookout and were going for Eagle. We met them briefly.

After the Viewpoint we continued on the loop. And thus had to again break trail. Lots of fun on the way down as we were big plunge stepping and glissading down the trail. Definitely some bigger drifts in there too and then some other areas that were shallower and wind-packed.

Met two other guys coming up at some point. Eventually made it to the lean-to and hung out. Warmed up a bit more and we hung out at the lean-to for an hour at least. Great hike. Hard enough with breaking trail, but not too hard where it's miserable. Lots of fun on downhill. Beautiful fresh powder. White Gold!

One other solo guy came to the shelter and he was going to spend the night. We chatted for a bit and then left, saw two other people and surprisingly returned to the parking lot and there was like nine cars. Crossed only 4 people on trail and 3 at very end for a total of 7. Nice late-winter dumping.
    Last edited by Nivek; 03-15-2022, 07:14 PM.
    Catskills: 39/39, 35W/35W
    ADK: 46/46, 5W/46W
    NH: 2/48

You went to the right place for snow, sounds like. Nice!

I might be kidding...

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, 6 inches Sherrill and North Dome and then Halcott, all on Sunday. Monday a winter finish for me on Windham High Peak, maybe 5 inches. My girlfriend joined me.

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. Congrats on another finish.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

I went around the loop just before the snow, just a bit of ice.And did another finish earlier this week on Sugarloaf, with a bit of everything. I managed to wear snowshoes on most, crampons for a couple short stretches, so it counts. I don't consider micro spikes "real " winter equipment as so many misuse and mistake them for the real thing, but I do wear them.

Comment

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely could have used more snow this year. Oh well.....

• mudhook
      mudhook commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the colder temps kept what little snow we had for a passable SS season. All in all, better than some, worse than others. Now its spring and the ticks will again rule.

• Nivek
      Nivek commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't had many problems with ticks in the Catkills in the past, if any.... Harriman State Park and New Jersey is a different story.... In your opinion what is the worst time/months of year for ticks?....As I despise them!
Working...
X