aborted rescue on Bearpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aborted rescue on Bearpen

Decided to take my significant other for a fairly easy climb up Bearpen on New Years Day. Started out late from Johnson Hollow up the Rd to the hunters cabin. Knew we would need head lamps for the descent(spare batteries headlamps etc.). Going up the Rd. encountered a pickup coming down with 2 locals who had just climbed Vly and Bearpen. Continued on and stopped at the cabin where the temperature was 17 degrees. Made it to the summit where the trouble began. Her legs began to cramp up and she was in terrible pain(legs as stiff as boards). She would walk a few feet and collapse in the snow. We were dressed for this so hypothermia was not an issue.(yet!). We were not prepared for an overnight bivy, I knew I had to get her off the Mtn. tonight. ditched the backpacks keeping only essentials and tried piggybacking for a few hundred yards along the easy ridge but realized I was not going to be able to do that on the steeper sections. She tried to call 911 and her cell died immediately. After sitting for 20 minutes she got up and was able to walk carefully down the steep parts to the wood Rd a quarter mile from the cabin, at which point she was unable to walk again. At this point we decided that I would run down to the car parked near the turnaround and call for help. Ran down the wood Rd. and thought that I could probably drive the car with studded snows up to the cabin. Got about 3/4 of the way up and could go no further. I called 911 and then spent the next hour getting transfered from Greene to Ulster 911 and finally to the DEC. After explaining the situation, location and the need for a four wheel drive vehicle the operator said he would try to find a volunteer to assist, It being New Years Day. I had already backed my vehicle down to the bottom to be out of the way. While on the phone I saw the light of her headlamp coming down the road and was able to abort the rescue. That light was the best thing I've seen in a long time

Scary! Is she ok now? If so, what was the cause?

Comment

• David Leone
      David Leone commented
      Editing a comment
      for the last three years she has had an absorption problem (gastro-intestinal). She was fine xc skiing over the last three winters(Vermont, New Hampshire) and bushwhacked with me in the catskills prior to her condition and missed them, so we figured we'd try a fairly easy climb. I guess the stress on her depleted leg muscles of vital nutrients was the cause of the cramping. Thanks for your concern, she recovered quickly.

Very happy this worked out!

Everyone should have the appropriate DEC number in their phone. Also that same number should be given to loved ones that would be calling if we do not return in time.

I hike in the ADK so I carry the DEC Ray Brook Dispatch number in my phone and so does my wife and son so we can call them directly.
    Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

Do you know what the cause of her leg cramps was?

This is 100% anecdotal but I've had experiences with leg cramping on hikes in the past and find them to be a miserable thing to deal with. I've since started taking a daily D3 supplement and now always pack a fresh, juicy New England IPA and a banana with me for my summit snack. There's something about the mix of potassium, alcohol, sugar, water, and carbs that pretty much kills the cramps instantly and gives me a huge shot of life (plus, beer is awesome). I don't know the science behind it but it works like a charm for me.
      My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

• David Leone
        David Leone commented
        Editing a comment
        She won't do beer but the banana and D3 sounds like a hit

Glad you guys got out, any word afterwards on the issue?
      While I haven't brought a beer with me (IPA is the only way, by the way), I also used to cramp pretty good on hikes and at work, so figured i should comment.
      I take a daily flintstones chewable with my daughter every morning, and when work has me straining and i know i will be hiking soon i have a magnesium tablet in the mornings also.
      If I am going longer distance on a hike or back-to-backs I always bring a banana as well as extra gel or even bloks, and always have nuun tabs just in case to turn water into electrolytes.
      I sweat very salty (frequent white stains on work clothes and hiking clothes), so while i believe improving my fitness and endurance has been the real key to stopping my cramping I also am always keeping in mind my potassium, mag and salt intake.
      Also, i wouldn't be surprised if someone who frequently hikes the other seasons and starts to hike in the winter might initially experience issues due to the new awkwardness of using snowshoes and spikes, as well as increased layers and pack weight.
      35er #3133
      46er #11779

"Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds"
      Zarathustra

Comment

• David Leone
        David Leone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you all for your input. It will be useful. I love IPA also and get my daily dose.

• Eddie Fournier
        Eddie Fournier commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a fond memory of the Heady Topper (unfiltered double IPA) I had once in Vermont. Is it available in Dacks?

• bikerhiker
        bikerhiker commented
        Editing a comment
        i think I had that in Burlington, and I don't remember seeing it in the adk but maybe lake placid might have it. north of Utica, desantis on the strip in Barneveld might have some, they usually have a crazy great selection and I try to remember to stop there on the way home also for their amazing deli

Holy crap! Glad everything worked out and you both are safe and sound!

Comment

• David Leone
        David Leone commented
        Editing a comment
        Holy crap for sure. It was a wake-up call among many in the Mountains

Originally posted by bikerhiker View Post
      Glad you guys got out, any word afterwards on the issue?
      While I haven't brought a beer with me (IPA is the only way, by the way), I also used to cramp pretty good on hikes and at work, so figured i should comment.
      I take a daily flintstones chewable with my daughter every morning, and when work has me straining and i know i will be hiking soon i have a magnesium tablet in the mornings also.
      If I am going longer distance on a hike or back-to-backs I always bring a banana as well as extra gel or even bloks, and always have nuun tabs just in case to turn water into electrolytes.
      I sweat very salty (frequent white stains on work clothes and hiking clothes), so while i believe improving my fitness and endurance has been the real key to stopping my cramping I also am always keeping in mind my potassium, mag and salt intake.
      Also, i wouldn't be surprised if someone who frequently hikes the other seasons and starts to hike in the winter might initially experience issues due to the new awkwardness of using snowshoes and spikes, as well as increased layers and pack weight.
      You bring up a good point about using snowshoes and cramps or strains. When winter begins I always take a couple hikes with the snowshoes of a half hour or so to prevent any strains or pulls. After those trips anything is a go. Seems to work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by David Leone View Post
        Her legs began to cramp up
        What is her typical weekly training regimen?
        Is it possible that this incident was caused by an undertraining/overexertion?

Comment

• David Leone
          David Leone commented
          Editing a comment
          No Yuri, This was caused by a mal-absorbtion problem depriving her muscles of needed minerals. In prior years she has been able to xc ski and downhill ski regularly in the gunks and white Mtns. even with this condition.

This week's Foot Stuff podcast is a review of "Where You'll Find Me: Risk, Decisions, and the Last Climb of Kate Matrosova" by Ty Gagne. It is a facts-based recounting of a fateful winter hike in the NH Presidentials and what can happen to even those who are expert hikers.

Ordered my copy as I was listening.

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Its a good read. IIRC somewhere on this forum, possibly under the SAR section there's quite a lengthy thread (possibly more than one) regarding her fateful trip. You'd have to go back a few years.

Edit: or it may have been in regards to reliance on GPS locator technology, using her trip as an example.

• David Leone
          David Leone commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that was a serious tragedy. Her location finder didn't help at all as rescue teams could not even venture out that night in the storm.

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          5 years back. Here are the relevant threads...

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...r-near-madison

https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...a-some-closure

Wow, sounds like a tough situation! So glad she's okay.
        We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
        X