Parking area on Mill Brook Road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking area on Mill Brook Road?

The one for the usual route up Balsam Lake and Graham.

I've been on Catskill hikes several times since Jan. 1, and the parking areas have all been glare ice. Does anyone know the condition of this one? My concern is, that to get into it from either end, you drive slightly downhill from the road into the lot. So the big question is, can you get out of the lot, that is, get your vehicle up that short rise to the road when it's time to leave?? I don't own chains or studded tires.

Thinking of going on Wednesday 1/8. Any info appreciated.

I know nothing about that lot but I always carry sand and rock salt with me in the winter so you might also. Chains prices start at say $40.00 but tire cables start at $20.00 and they'll [either] last for years if cleaned of salt after use.

Comment

We had no issues in a front wheel drive Prius with snow tires a few days ago.
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hunter View Post
        I know nothing about that lot but I always carry sand and rock salt with me in the winter so you might also. Chains prices start at say $40.00 but tire cables start at $20.00 and they'll [either] last for years if cleaned of salt after use.
        Thanks for that suggestion, Old Hunter. Good Idea!

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
          We had no issues in a front wheel drive Prius with snow tires a few days ago.
          Thanks for that perspective. Another hiker told me about the same yesterday, so we will go for it! Now we "only" have to worry about the wind.

Oh, BTW, I called for permission for Graham and received a quick response.

Comment

Working...
          X