Panther Mountain 11-29-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther Mountain 11-29-2019

I got out for a quick jaunt up Panther Mountain today in observance of Black Friday. I didn’t find any doorbuster deals, but I enjoyed a nice quiet day with good views and a healthy dose of early winter conditions. I left my snowshoes in the car and this proved to be OK: microspikes sufficed for the entire trek, from parking lot to summit.

I was happy to find plenty of boot tracks in the snow. With the leaves off the trees and with how open the woods on this ridge are, finding the trail in the snow is not trivial! Good views from the lookouts near Giant Ledge. The last push to the summit always seems to take longer than it should. Met some nice folks on top, with whom I chatted about various Catskill hiking lists from the HH to the grid(s). Good views up there, but clouds would blow through and periodically obscure things. Summit beer was delicious. Uneventful trek back down. No real tricky sections to speak of. Car-to-car in about 2h40m.

I usually find County Route 47 to be in pretty good shape in the wintertime. Today, however, the upper reaches (the 2 miles or so before the hairpin turn) were covered in a thin layer of snow/ice which made for pretty treacherous driving! Going up was one thing, but coming back down required extreme care in order to not go flying off the road. I wasn’t comfortable going any faster than a crawl down the steep hills, and I was in a 4WD jeep with snow tires! It must have been somewhat localized, since there was nothing on the roads lower down on CR47 nor anywhere on Route 28. I would advise anyone without 4WD and/or snow tires to avoid this road in it’s current state.
    From every mountainside, let freedom ring.
Working...
X