Descent from Sherrill to Shaft Rd PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descent from Sherrill to Shaft Rd PA

climbed North Dome and Sherrill today.Perfect weather.Helped a Bro with his 30th and 31st of the 35 summer peaks. North Dome (one of my favorites) went well keeping to the right on the ascent to avoid most of the worst ledges. Canister tag and then the mostly herd path to Sherrill cannister. The most difficult part of the hike was the descent to Shaft Rd. PA. Nettles everywhere some of them 4' making the footfalls difficult on an already difficult understory of loose rock and dead fall. also the broad ridge line made the navigation a little dicey. Over all, something I'd rather do in winter.

That area on Sherrill I find to be quite tricky to navigate myself, with no map, gps or compass. Even in winter its a bit tricky. And the footing is not good on Sherrill, except in winter.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

Somehow, we have 2 threads on this same subject...
      Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
      Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
      Past President Catskill 3500 Club
      CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Yes, we have 2 threads and still not a decent way down in non snow conditions.

Comment

The last two times we hiked these 2 we only had one car. We went up North Dome and took the nicest herd path over to Sherrill. We then went back to North Dome and went down from there to our car.

Comment

• David Leone
            David Leone commented
            Editing a comment
            Trying to avoid the descent on North Dome ledges by going down to Shaft Rd. but in the future I think I'd rather scramble than trip and slide!
        Working...
        X