Blackhead 5-16-2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackhead 5-16-2019

There's usually not much to comment on regarding trail conditions at this time of the year but today Mrs Magoo and I found raging streams, water on the trail and snow left over from Sunday. I figure that the raging streams were due to melting that occurred in the warm sunny weather yesterday. There's a tough stream crossing that I forgot about. Mrs Magoo added wading (using kitchen sized garbage bags) to her list of mountain skills. Snow was very slippery at the end of the ascent from Lockwood Gap and the level summit walk was slushy, muddy and also slippery without traction. Would like to have come down the Escarpment but it was too snowy, even on the east side of the mountain. Didn't even go to the lookout .25 miles away...

Yeah, Sunday's snow added up to close to 8 inches up there on Blackhead. I'd have to say that's the most new May snow that I have ever walked in.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• mudhook
      mudhook commented
      Editing a comment
      First time I have heard you say "walked in", usually you "walk on" snow. Must be an age thing.

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiked from Palenville, so that was pretty far to carry huge snowshoes. :-)
Working...
X