Slide from Denning Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide from Denning Road

On Sunday I hiked up Slide from the Denning Road trailhead. It was my third time on Slide but the first by that route.

There were patches of snow even down by the trailhead. On the way up I encountered bare trail, ice, ice covered with a little snow, and a foot or two of packed snow. I barebooted on the bare trail, and used microspikes on the rest. I took snowshoes with me, but never needed them.

It was warm enough that I was switching back and forth between wearing a jacket and not.

I was redlining after passing the intersection with the trail to Table up to joining the ridge trail. The first part of the trail kept switching back and forth between bare and ice/snow, so the spikes kept coming off and on. After passing the Curtis-Ormsbee Monument there was more and more snow, and it finally became snow the rest of the way to the summit.

On the way down there seemed to be less snow and more water than on the way up, not surprising given the warmth of the day.

Slide was my 62nd, out of 115, peak in my quest to reclimb the NE111 in my 60s. This will be my last peak before I turn 65, so I'm 54% of the way there half way through the decade.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
    NE111 in my 60s: 62/115 (48/67, 12/46, 2/2)
    NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
    LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
    "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
    - Lewis Carroll

Hi Cumulus. Can you tell me where that blowdown is exactly? We have trail maintenance planned for May 26th, but we only go as far as the turn off to Table. We'll need some major preparation if we have to take that one out...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMagoo View Post
      Hi Cumulus. Can you tell me where that blowdown is exactly? .
      I'm pretty sure it's a little above the intersection with the Table trail. There were several blowdowns in that section, but this one was the only one I had to whack around.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
      NE111 in my 60s: 62/115 (48/67, 12/46, 2/2)
      NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
      LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
      "Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
      - Lewis Carroll

Comment

• MrMagoo
        MrMagoo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. If we can't remove it, we'll call the DEC...

• CatskillKev
        CatskillKev commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks like multiple large trees.
    Working...
    X