Fir, Big Indian, Eagle 2/2/2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fir, Big Indian, Eagle 2/2/2019

It was close to zero degrees at the start which was ideal for not overheating on the steep bushwhack from Burnham Hollow breaking trail in fresh deep powdery snow. About two hours to the summit. While signing in at the Fir canister under nice sunny skies, we met George who had climbed solo from the Biscuit. As he was heading to Big Indian naturally he asked to join our group for that leg of the journey. Now with a group of eight we broke trail to Big Indian making nice progress. A few of the last steep pitches were tough as the snow always seems the deepest around Big Indian’s summit. At the trail we parted ways with George going left and our group going right towards Eagle on the still unbroken trail. We lunched in a protected area getting out of the wind not too far down the trail. As we started the ascent to Eagle, we were joined from behind by Mike S who was hiking the same route with a late start. After greetings and some chitchat he took the lead which was so helpful as fatigue was starting to set in.

We were all together on Eagle for awhile engaging in pleasant conversations. Mike took off ahead of us and we were blessed with the relief of following his expert track reaching our cars in Burnham Hollow at 5 o’clock.

A nice bushwhack loop is broken as well as the route from the Biscuit. Beautiful snowshoeing conditions up there, but will it last through the warm temperatures this week?

specs: 9.49 miles, 2,970’ ascent in about 9 hours

Mike and I both got too late a start if there weren't others on the mountain. What were we thinking? I started my hike from Biscuit Brook at noon. While I planned on Fir all along, it was no problem to add with your trail. The snow condition was tough for my medium/large 11x28 snowshoes (I actually didn't break trail a whole lot). I would have used large or huge, if the Biscuit Brook trailhead wasn't full of cars. Again, noon would have been too late without help. If I'd known what was going on, I could have pulled into Burnham Hollow, too. Moosebeware was right behind you guys doing Fir and Big Indian, also. I had a nice chat with her, which kept me from running into Mike, although I think he was ahead of Moosebeware, so I don't think I was about to see him.
    Last edited by CatskillKev; 02-04-2019, 09:34 PM.
    I might be kidding...

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      https://shop.gvsnowshoes.com/products/wide-trail

They are more of a bear paw design than any other high tech snowshoe, part of the wide trail series that include my 12x42. The 12x33 is another interesting one that I'm thinking about.

The shorter the snowshoe, the better they climb.

You might like these 11x28's, if you can handle the width. That would probably be the big question (or the weight). The true measurement is more like 11 and 1/4 x close to 29 inches.

If everyone in the Adirondacks used these snowshoes, there would be more happy snowshoers, but of course people use snowshoes for the monotonous broken trail... That's the problem.

• mudhook
      mudhook commented
      Editing a comment
      NIce, I grew up on ash and leather bear paws and modified BP's, I will be paying attention to these. How are the bindings?

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      The bindings are great. They have a toe stop, which is something I pretty much ask of every snowshoe, except for my tiny ones.

They have 2 straps across the front of the foot with nice ratchet tighteners. And the back is a rubber strap, possibly like your MSR's, like a belt thing that slips in a hole.
Working...
X