7 Spruceton peaks, the last 3 days, Jan 30th to Feb 1st, 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Spruceton peaks, the last 3 days, Jan 30th to Feb 1st, 2019

I hiked to Southwest Hunter and Hunter on Wednesday with huge snowshoes. No sign of anyone, except for foot tracks to Rusk.

Thursday I wore 11x28 snowshoes to Westkill and tiny 7x18 snowshoes to Rusk. Rusk was the only one broken out.

Today, I hiked North Dome and Sherrill with large snowshoes. I had time left over, so took a left from the valley and hiked Halcott with 11x28. A bit on the small side for the fairly deep snow, but they climbed well.

No one else with snowshoes out these 3 days, except the Rusk group did put snowshoes on after the steep climbing. Bare booting or wearing traction, getting popular, an extension of the small snowshoe craze. People don't like to have big things attached to their feet. Everyone knows that.

I might be kidding...

3 days in a row. Sounds like fun. Lucky you. I'm in the minority, I like a sizable snowshoe. However I haven't bought 36" yet.......... How was snow depth? Can you give me the inside tip? Thanks
    Catskills: 39/39, 35W/35W
    ADK: 46/46

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      There's only a half foot down low. If you're breaking trail up high, you'll want twice as many square inches as your weight in pounds, at least. That breakable crust is still down there from before.

edit: I meant to add there's a foot and a half or more up high, in many places.
      Last edited by CatskillKev; 02-02-2019, 09:51 AM.

That's a solid effort for three days, especially breaking trail. Thanks for the conditions report.
    To Go and to See
    Is to Know and to Be

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you 11. Yes, you are correct. It was no picnic. :-)

So weight X area = your snowshoe size, agreed, I will have to downsize.I had hoped to be done in the next couple weeks, but work weather and illness are not being helpful. But I will be back.

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear about your work weather and illness.

Area is your snowshoe size which is length x width. You multiply length times width of your snowshoes. Now, this is not totally accurate, especially for more tapered snowshoes. Your MSR's will be fairly accurate. So 8x22 equals 176. Theoretically, you don't have pretty good floatation until your surface area is at least twice your weight. So if you want to divide 176 by 140, you're at 1.25, so not very good, in my experience. If you find a way to use the tails and still find balance, then that would help your floatation.

We thought we had discovered Yeti tracks around Sherrill and North Dome yesterday (Saturday), when I remembered that you had been up there with large snowshoes. Your tracks are very distinctive and the diminutives sometimes parallel yours and sometimes diverge. It was crusty up there and we stayed on top for the most part with our tiny snowshoes. Interesting sign in at the canister on 2/1, traveling under the cloak of multiple pseudonyms.

Comment

• CatskillKev
      CatskillKev commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. :-)
Working...
X