Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFR
    replied
    I just got an email from someone who told me he was expecting 20" of snow this weekend! We shall see!

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    Have to wait another week for the pattern to change. I hope !

Leave a comment:

• TFR
    replied
    We went to BC and Friday yesterday (1/12) and everyone on the mountain was wearing micros of some sort. There are a few drifts, spruce traps, and post holes, but snowshoes would have been on for less than 30 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• MrMagoo
    replied
    Here's a picture, in a place that should be familiar, that shows the snow from yesterday...

Leave a comment:

• MrMagoo
    commented on 's reply
    Definitely!

• Hermit
    replied
    Great to see you folks up there yesterday !

Leave a comment:

• specs
    commented on 's reply
    Cornell above the crack had the deepest snow, Wittenberg not so much. Very light and powdery and variable based on wind exposure.

My guess is there’s more of it as you move west. My Base of Operations at 2,200’ has been plowed twice, there’s about a foot on the ground and it’s lightly snowing as I post this.

• MrMagoo
    commented on 's reply
    The snow started about 2000' and got deeper until the summits of Friday and Balsam Cap (East side coming from Moon Haw). Heard there was the same amount of snow on Cornell.

• mudhook
    commented on 's reply
    on bear pen

• catdacker
    replied
    Where's the snow?

Leave a comment:

• mudhook
    replied
    Conditions have changed and it appears some areas have more snow than others. Who would have thought

Leave a comment:

• MrMagoo
    started a topic Friday and Balsam Cap 1-10-2018

Friday and Balsam Cap 1-10-2018

Six Rips braved the frigid wind chills, neglected to bring snowshoes and still managed to celebrate an aspirant's final of the 35 and another knocking off two for their winter 35.

It would be unusual to NOT see Hermit and today was not unusual.

There was no snow at the parking lot, a dusting shortly thereafter and a gradual deepening until we were tramping down about 4 inches at the tops, not counting drifting. Speaking of drifting, the wind blew away Hermit's track (did I mention that he was ahead of us, not unusual either) at times but being the ace navigators that we are, we circled until we found it again. The Friday summit brought back memories of other brutally cold days but today I learned not to take my glove off until the book was open and a pen was found that actually worked. I could see the thin skin on the back of my hand changing color and then sending signals of pain to my (limited) brain. I'd like to invent a speedpass type of system for signing in at canisters on days like today.

We got a decent view from Friday but by the time we made it to Balsam Cap, there was a misty blank.

So I rushed to write this while the conditions are fresh. Kathoola's all day for me, others had Hillsounds for all or part of the day. Not sure it made a difference, but I would have liked snowshoes in a very few places just to get better traction on some steep parts....
Working...
X