• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nivek
    started a topic Rocky & Lone

Rocky & Lone

Sunday
    snowed on drive in
    hit New Munson diner for 2nd breakfast. Was better than Liberty diner. Although I didn't have much of an appetite and forced my food down

snowing and sticking to road. My buddy drove. Our car went sideways on Denning Rd. for 3 seconds and he was able to straighten it out. Time stood still and conversation froze in those 3-5 seconds. If he didn't spin the wheel opposite and correct it, we would have been in the creek. We joked after that that's why I put my gaiters on in the car 5 minutes earlier

ive only done this hike once awhile back during a summer. We tried once in winter in 2ft of fresh snow and failed. And my buddy did it once in winter solo.

Ok so here we are again. I wouldn't trust myself to do this solo. I rely on my partner a lot with a tough bushwhack like this. He is a stronger off trail navigator than me. I'm learning....

start walking 8:45. 2 cars in lot

snow pretty much stopped now. Except some very light flurries/ mist on and off all day
    mild temps. No wind again which is fine with me. Air was still. Last Sunday on Rusk was no wind either. Colder and cloudier than last Sunday

i wanted to try and lead us on this hike but eventually later turned the reigns over to my friend for sake of time, moving efficiently, and eventual darkness.

i was never lost on fishermans path which in beginning is obvious but peters out later, crosses many streams, and is a long trek up in that valley..... Oh yeah, we put on microspikes at beginning of path. Hard packed snow mostly. I was indecisive a lot of times on just what side of what stream to take. Yes there's the major artery but a lot of other braiding streams, split streams, beaver areas, and seasonal streams. Never lost but trying to decide and not do unnecessary crossings. It was taking time and my partner, true to the game, would not help me or give any clues. Water was gushing good and we already dunked our boots a few times. On rolling rocks and big jumps. Thankfully we both had higher winter boots on and never got water in boots.

another thing I miscalculated was how far along we were, thinking we were approaching the streams that go up the flanks of Rocky. A sneak peek of US topo maps app on my buddy's phone. Something we use as an added safety net on only the tougher bushwhacks. Showed that we were only approaching parallel to Lone. Wishful thinking, I thought we were much further. I waved the white flag and turned the leadership over to friend. We still had another hour of walking on path. And we hadn't even climbed yet. In the name of moving more quickly and impending darkness. He took over, I followed.

by the way did I tell you how beautiful the hike was? How amazing the streams looked? And how the fresh dusting of the pine trees was gorgeous? Boy, we were having a good time despite me leading us slowly up the valley

. We were shooting for Rocky first the whole time. Eventually we came between the 2 streams indicated on nynjtc map on Rocky and started paralleling the one on the left and eventually slowly banged a right. It was a mild, easy ascent. I think we began seeing solo tracks on Rocky or maybe it was later on heading into col between Rocky and Lone.
    Canister and and beautiful summit with some decent views. Off to Lone. Going from Rocky to Lone was the crux of the day. We got into some thick stuff. We were trying to navigate, reading the map, sometimes following boot marks, sometimes cheating and checking the phone app. It was confusing in there. Trying to find the path of least resistance while staying on course. We got turned around once or twice. Eventually we got out there and up to Lone can. A steeper ascent but not too bad. Maybe it was 3 or 3:30? I think it was 1:45 when we're on top of Rocky. Our plan was to break out our Helinox chair zeros we packed. Sit on summit and have a beer. But in lieu of the cold and darkness. I wanted to be back down lower before we did that. So off we went.....

descended off of Lone. Back down to stream. We overshot our original tracks in and came upon flooded beaver areas. Man there were a lot of mowed down trees. Darkness descending we decided to hoof it all the way to a campsite by the smaller footbridge. There we took a timed selfie of us in our chairs. Fosters oil can in hand. Sun just about out. Headlamps on. All our clothes on. A stick of Chorizo to gnaw on. We sat in the dark and in the cold by that stream. Rushing water. Fresh air. A hike just about done. We each guzzled that big beer and it never tasted so good. After 30 min we packed up and hiked to car in dark. 6:30 we were done. Driving, Wendy's fast food stop, and a long day put me home at 9:30. I had left my house before 6am that morning. A long, beautiful, fun and satisfying day.
    Last edited by Nivek; 01-01-2019, 12:30 PM.

• debmonster
    commented on 's reply
    We were all distracted with multiple conversations and some with minor physical annoyances. So we weren't really paying as much attention as we should have. The funny thing for me is that I had done the same hike only a few months before so I should have known better.

• rockysummit
    commented on 's reply
    I had two dogs, Rocky and Summit. It was fun calling out to them when hiking up a peak!

• Nivek
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks RockySummit. Is your forum name come from Rocky Mountain? Or is it just describing a summit that is rocky?

• Nivek
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I hear ya. Without the app and my friend that prob would have happened to me

• rockysummit
    replied
    Great report after a great hike. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• debmonster
    replied
    A great report! I remember a day in February 2011 when a group of friends and I were doing this same hike. We took the long walk along the Fishermans Path and then turned to ascend Rocky. Boy, were we surprised when the notebook in the canister informed us we were on Lone! We made it over to Rocky eventually. Doh!

Leave a comment:

• debmonster
    commented on 's reply
    Oil cans *and* chairs; impressive!

• Nivek
    commented on 's reply
    Mudhook, you're much too kind. Lol. Hopefully we will cross paths in the woods one day... Maybe on the way to Rocky & Lone....Take care

• mudhook
    replied
    I remember how your first winter attempt enabled us to make the peaks the next day, you are still our hero. But you carried oil cans all day? Another remarkable feat!

Leave a comment:

• Nivek
    commented on 's reply
    Was a beautiful day. Thanks

• Hermit
    replied
    Great hike and report !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X