X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hear the Footsteps
    started a topic Red Hill + Tremper 12-29-18

Red Hill + Tremper 12-29-18

I climbed to Red Hill FT yesterday. It has to be almost the farthest from my home except for Balsam Lake Mt. I probably should have left home an hour earlier. On the return I tacked on Mt Tremper making it a full day.

Both Red Hill and Tremper were without snow. Both had some ice.

I know Red Hill is kind of a short hike but it's confusing location makes up for it. It took me a lap around Red Hill Rd (name?) because early on I passed the correct road that climbed to near the PA. Not all the road names were on my old Delorme map (I don't use the GPS, where's the fun in that). The dirt roads were a bit slippery a mix of catskill red mud and ice; so, I decided it was best to be conservative by parking high and walking from the height of land to the PA. On the way out I crossed paths with another hiker who had a Subaru and drove to the PA.

At the Mt Tremper PA almost all the parking spots were taken. I found out why, there was two large groups on the hill and several small ones. Thinking I was a bit late I hurried up the hill. The switchbacks helped me keep pace. The trail, as rocky as I recalled with very few smooth places until up on the summit ridge. And there were enough leaves to make me slip and slide a little. Drainages across the rocky jeep track were flowing nicely and the spring water running out the pipe.

I passed two groups on the way up. One I never saw again and must have abandoned the hike. The other one of the large groups. On the way out, it was about 230, and I passed several groups still climbing and early into their hike, two groups with small children including one with an infant, two groups with SLR cameras. And here I thought I was starting late.

In the back of my mind I'd considered tacking on Overlook. Would have been easy in the summer but lacking daylight I would have needed to use the headlamp back to the trailhead. The tie breaker I decided would be if there might be a nice sunset. But it looked like it would be a cloudy one so I bailed.

Don

• YanaLG
    replied
    I am not sure if this parking lot gets cleared by town in winter, but there's a parking area just a bit further down the road from the Tremper lot for fishing access (south). you can either walk along the road to the official start of the trail or use the old start of trail. I am also guessing that the trail used to be a jeep road to access the fire tower and when the lot was created, the trail was rerouted south for that small stretch. if you don't make a sharp left on your way back, following the trail will take you to old Rt 28.

anyways, Willow access has been on my radar for years, looking forward to checking it out!

ETA - I just looked at the map and it looks like this old portion of the trail is PP. so never mind about starting there, but I think the fishing access parking lot is still an option if one wants to hike from that side and the main lot is full. First time I hiked Tremper solo, I had accidentally missed the turn off and followed the trail back to old Rt 28.

Leave a comment:

• Hear the Footsteps
    commented on 's reply
    In my report I called the trail a jeep trail. Was it perhaps originally a horse trail?

• TFR
    replied
    If the Tremper lot is full, you can go to the Willow Lot and do a hike that is slightly longer, but 500' less elevation gain to Tremper from the 'back side'. There is room for about 6 cars here, and so far, it is getting very little use.

P.S. It used to be that there was no parking on this road, and very ornery land owners, but now there is a new, official lot there.

Leave a comment:

• mudhook
    replied
    The first time I did Red Hill it was snowing so hard we couldn't even see the road signs after our third drive around the block. I ended up getting my GPS out and drove around until we were close and then set out to wack it. We hit the trailhead dead on. This was long before GPS had accurate maps. The next time I went there I was just as lost.

Leave a comment:

• Nivek
    replied
    Over the summer I did Slide from Denning out and back. Then we tacked on Red Hill

Leave a comment:

• Hear the Footsteps
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. Red Hill is best combined with another(s) peak(s).
    Don

• YanaLG
    replied
    the drive to red hill is always a confusing killer and the drive to hike ratio is the most unfortunate. when I climbed it for the regular FTC round, I combined it with the beaverkill access to BLM. we got lost a million times and ended up driving for 7 hours. the hike time was maybe 3-4 hours at most? for the winter round, I combined Red Hill with the Milbrook access to BLM. got lost again. also parked at the high point on the road both times. when we did the 5 fire towers in the day back in august, we managed to drive down to the parking area but I had an SUV and it was summer. that was also the first time I didn't get lost I do love that hike but it is just too far away from me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X