Doubletop 12-19-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubletop 12-19-2018

Our small group hiked from Seager in 16 deg temperatures. Used Kahtoolas for the hard / icy initial trail including the somewhat dicey stream crossings. When we started the bushwhack I should have changed to Hillsounds. Some slipping back on the steep parts with my nubby old spikes. As the snow got deeper we found lots of frozen over postholes, especially near the top.

The trees were ice crusted and lit up by the bright sunshine. The combination of icy branches, snow covered evergreens and crystal clear distant views made for awesome pictures which I didn't take because my camera and phone were on the kitchen counter. Maybe one of the others will share theirs with me.

Put on my heavy sweater and had a longish lunch at the canister. Saw the canister art from "Corn Farrell" which I immediately recognized as Hiker Joe. Wow, she's good.

Finally put my Hillsounds on for the descent and it made a lot of difference. Had 1 great butt slide up high where there was some snow over the ice, but mostly the hard, icy trail was too rough for that.

Switched back to my Kahtoolas at the bear and recrossed the now even more dicey streams. At the end it was still cold, high 20s, not the high 30s that were in the forecast.

Photo courtesy of "Longstrider"...

Comment

It was the day to be out.

Comment

Working...
      X