Twin Mountain 12/1/2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin Mountain 12/1/2018

It was nice to ring in December with a great snowshoe trip up Twin. Looking at the glowing peaks on the drive in I knew this was going to be a special day! I ran into some mostly solo newbie winter hikers that didn't expect snow (coming from lower lying areas) but after some conversation were very agreeable about getting snowshoes. They seemed to get a kick watching my enjoyment in these great conditions especially the butt slides coming down! They also loved the beautiful winter wonderland that they were experiencing for the first time.
    I carried the shoes until after the wetter and exposed rocky areas only to save some wear and tear on my equipment. It didn't take a lot of elevation gain to get into plenty deep snow. There was fresh snow on EVERYTHING including a pretty firm pack under foot. Very easy going up to the notch with very little slipping along the way. Saw a couple of different bear tracks, one before the notch and one other around the 3500 ft. sign. The sun was out most of the time into the early afternoon but it did start to cloud up a bit when I decided to head down. Looking to Slide and the southern Catskills it was definitely cloudier probably most of the day. The peaks down there were poking through quite a bit though. Great views, great conditions... great day!
    Some pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/103741...57704250496355
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Nice! Was there and on Indian Head on 10/21. What a difference a few weeks makes!

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, a different world now!

Great pics as always!

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob. Great day out!

Nice pictures. Twin has always been my favorite in the Cats.

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. One of my favs too especially in winter!

From the looks of your feet, the old sherpas finally gave up?

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      I still have them with a bunch of others for spares. The Flex Alps are pretty good!

Beautiful pictures. Nice bear tracks! The first of December was a gorgeous day. I was on Kaaterskill High Peak but too lazy to write a report (oops). We saw some bear tracks near the steep chute on the east face that had butt slide sections. Originally thought it was a hiker that had been through but realized it was a bear on closer inspection after seeing them disappear off a near vertical drop off.

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, hopefully it wasn't a bare-booter going over the edge! It must have been beautiful up top of Kaaterskill. I drove over to that parking area after my hike to see who may have been up there. Saw a young couple returning from Huck Point. They said they had a great day too!
Working...
X