Rusk 11/18/2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusk 11/18/2018

barebooted to the hairpin, then put on the showshoes right after the water crossing. the track was laid out very nicely and it had firmed up a bit after the freeze/thaw and we packed it down even more. it looked like there was only one person barebooting it and I am not sure that they had made it to the summit. as soon as it got very steep, it was obvious that the traction was a must.

in our typical fashion, we started late and hang out by the ledges a bit... so we were descending even later. pretty much near the spruceton road, we hear 2 very loud hikers, who asked us if this was a way to Rusk. at about 3:15. little gear, the dude had no pack, and no snowshoes. the lady proudly told us that she did 12 peaks last winter without the snowshoes and she will be fine. I very politely had told her that it really was not for her as much as for others... that probably fell on the deaf ears. anyways, they did sign in into the DEC register at least.

anyways, hope that they don't destroy the trail but who knows.

the day was finished off at the brewery, which was most excellent, as always.
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

All sounds great with the exception of the bare booting late comers. Hanging at the ledges and hitting the brewery after... doesn't get any better than that!
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      and the snow that was promised to hit around 1 pm didn't arrive until much, much later, so it really was a perfect day! the bare booters were something.... no self-awareness whatsoever!

Remember that even late barebooters need love. Then push them over.

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      gebby - that group is a cesspool and I have not been a part of it for a better part of the year, also for the same reasons. the group I was talking about is the Catskill Trail Conditions, which is like a breath of fresh air, as far as hiking drama goes. crap like that is just not tolerated, which is probably why that person deleted her response right away. Huge kudos to moderators there.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      YanaLG I'm glad to hear it about the Catskill Trail Conditions paged as I just joined it. There does seem to be room for reasoned discussion on there about best hiking practices on there(even though there are no rules about snowshoes in the Catskills as opposed to the High Peaks).

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      the discussion about the best hiking practices comes up there whenever warranted, but it always stays civil and people also do not post things to provoke others... unlike the other FB groups. also, no stupid banter between the hiking cliques either. the purpose of the page is to talk about the trail conditions. I think you will like it.

Hey YanaLG where's the brewery? Headed down to do Rusk, East Rusk, Hunter, SW Hunter with the club tomorrow and may be thirsty when it's over!

Comment

• Blowdown Gang
      Blowdown Gang commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll see all the signs and the Westkill Brewery on the left as you're driving in. Ya can't miss it!

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks BG!

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      can't miss it! it is on your way back to Route 42 from the hike. enjoy! please report back and let me know if the sour is back on tap!
Working...
X