Feels like winter on Blackhead 11/10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feels like winter on Blackhead 11/10

Yes, it definitely felt like winter on Blackhead Mountain Saturday. Temperature In the 20's up top with high winds (45 mph?) had my fingers and water bottle freezing up pretty good! Very enjoyable and interesting day with constantly changing skies that made for great picture taking. One minute the sun was out the next is a white out! Excellent footing with about 2 inches of crunchie snow and little ice. My microspikes stayed in my pack all day. The wind was a bit much at times but that's what made the day!
    Some pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/103741...57673386407967
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Great photos ,Tony! love the icicles and sun rays peeking through the clouds. Blackhead is one of my favorite peaks in winter. It was quite windy hiking in Cold Spring today too, but still a good day on the trail.
    We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing ~ Satchel Paige

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      You said it Deb. Thanks!

Thanks for the pictures! Headed there on Saturday the 17th!

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope you have great weather. You'll have fun in the Blackheads!

Nice pics Tony! We were across the street on Windham, Burnt Knob, and Acra Point. Yes, it was very windy! Sunshine, snow squalls, sunshine, snow squalls. Rinse & repeat. :-)

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob. Sorry I missed you guys. Let me know of any upcoming adventures... with maybe a little less wind!

Nice pictures, Tony!

I was out in the western Catskills (Graham and Balsam Lake) on Saturday encountering very similar conditions: easy walking crunchy snow and quickly changing skies and whipping winds. Too windy for climbing the tower for me at least!

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Specs. I thought of hitting BLM (that is sort of my neck of the woods) but made the longer drive to Blackhead. Yeah, you had to be pretty brave to climb up a tower that day!

Glad to see you are still waiting for the weather to change"any minute", and it always does.

Comment

• rockysummit
      rockysummit commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, keeps life interesting!
Working...
X