Vly and Bearpen 11-7-2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vly and Bearpen 11-7-2018

Bright sunny day after some rainy ones. If you are in the habit of driving to the cabin, better bring a chain saw. There are three large trees across the road. We planned to walk it anyway, so no harm, no foul.

Went to Vly first and found the mud on the steeps was slipperier than wet snow. Had to be careful, especially going down. At the canister, the sun was from the east and too bright to get a decent photo from the "nose" lookout. Tried to follow a herd path north, looking for a viewpoint over the NW drop, but lots of little trees blocking any real vistas. If you know of a viewpoint there, let me know. We did go to the "nose" and could see Slide and the Burroughs Range from atop a rock there.

Slipped our way back to the col and started up the woods road toward Bearpen. Last time I posted there was a discussion of a track vehicle tearing up the snowmobile trail. Well, nature has restore the road so there is no evidence remaining, and also no evidence of any improvement. There's one place where the road will surely get a big rut down the center before the runoff finally goes over the edge at a bend. Lots of mud and broken trees in the footpath part of the route. Lots of puddles or should I say ponds when you reconnect with the woods road nearing the top, but that's business as usual.

Beautiful views from about 5 viewpoints on Bearpen and we enjoyed them all. Still trying to pick out Mudhooks house down there in Andes or wherever...

we have tried to track down that elusive viewpoint over the winter and had little luck. can you tell me more about that "nose" please?
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks! will have to look for it next time I am there

• Blowdown Gang
      Blowdown Gang commented
      Editing a comment
      The first time I found that viewpoint 11 years ago, it was pretty decent. It seemed very grown in more recently.

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      sounds like I should go when the leafs are off and it would make sense to visit Bearpen first, then go to Vly and hopefully avoid the sun

Last time I was on Vly there were two pre teenage kids 15' high in a tree on the "nose" trying to get a better look.. There are no real views to the NW, but close to be one, a little ice would do it.
    And Magoo, if you can see the Andes, you have better eyesight than you are letting on. Next time find Old Clump, follow the SW ridge down, turn left at the big white blob house, across the hogs back, but not quite to Burroughs rock, then down and behind the big oak is my roof. easy peasy

Comment

• MrMagoo
      MrMagoo commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to bring my binoculars next time...

If we are talking about the same thing, the nose is just 200-300 feet south of the canister. If you poke around you might find a decent view, especially with the leaves down.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

• YanaLG
      YanaLG commented
      Editing a comment
      sweet! will investigate! thank you

Found the nose and the views! Many thanks for the tips everyone!
    46/46 as of August 1st, 2014!

Comment

Working...
    X