Kaaterskill HP: Feb 3, broken ankle and evac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaaterskill HP: Feb 3, broken ankle and evac

Last Friday I did a solo bushwack up the western approach to KHP via the "3250 ledge" on Roundtop. What a beautiful hike! If you are not familiar with this hike it requires considerable research and a good topo GPS. (See the "Catskill Mountaineer" web site). I used microspikes the whole way.
    Had I returned the way I came, I would have been fine. Instead I went down the northern herd path using crampons. At approximately 3300 feet I lost my footing on a steep section of ice, I slid down and jammed my left foot into a tree. I broke my ankle and could not walk. Luckily I was able to dial 911. At about 7:00 PM I started my descent by rope, sliding on my butt, with the expert assistance of a ranger, an EMT and 6-8 others. To make a long story short, we made it to an ambulance at 1:30 AM. I can't thank and praise enough those men who risked their own safety to help me.
    The northern herd path on KHP is a river of ice. Unless you are well experienced with crampons, I recommend staying off this trail.
    My ankle required surgery and I will now be off the trails for 2 to 3 months.

Bummer! get well soon.
    Cell phones are dog whistles for people.
    -Lisa Loeb

Comment

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad you were successfully rescued.

We went up and down that northern herd path on Sunday. It looked in a few places like someone had slid down on the butt...and I was thinking that would be mighty dangerous with the steepness, ice, and rocks. Maybe that was from you being lowered by rope?

Anyway, we had no major troubles climbing up, but there was one spot on the way down that we were not at all comfortable with. I scouted around and found a little easier way off of it that didn't take us too much out of the way. (I had a rope in my pack, but wasn't crazy about using it unless we had no other choice.)
      Nature we have always with us, an inexhaustible storehouse of that which moves the heart, appeals to the mind, and fires the imagination - health to the body, a stimulus to the intellect, and a joy to the soul. - John Burroughs

Comment

Ouch, glad you made it out and had cell phone coverage. a lot of the trails are pretty icy now and the trails up and over the KHP summit are fairly steep in places.. Hope you heal nicely, maybe we'll actually get some snow in 2-3 months, usually those icy trails get covered on KHP such that snowshoes work fine on the north side.

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
        And death is a long cold rest.
        You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
        Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
        -Pink Floyd

Comment

Sorry about your injury, glad you got quick help!

Regarding the GPS though, I've never needed one to climb that peak, and neither did the founders of the club in 1962! I have used crampons on KHP though!

Interesting that you think the North is worse right now, as the South side is usually considered the worst side to ascend/descend!
          Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
          Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
            Interesting that you think the North is worse right now, as the South side is usually considered the worst side to ascend/descend!
            Well, a slip on the south side might mean worse than a broken ankle!

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
              Sorry about your injury, glad you got quick help!

Regarding the GPS though, I've never needed one to climb that peak, and neither did the founders of the club in 1962! I have used crampons on KHP though!

Thanks for your comment. Perhaps I confused you. I did not go up the south side and I know nothing about its current condition. I went up the so called "western approach" which is a real bushwack hike. It starts at the end of Gillipse Rd., goes up the back side of Roundtop from the west, across the col between RT and KHP, and then up the western side of KHP. You may not need a GPS but one would definitely help if you are not familiar with the route. It's a beautiful hike, perhaps one of the best in the Catskills.

Comment

This years lack of snow combined with cold weather and rain has created an icy base to say the least. And the ice keeps growing. Kudos on a successful rescue, were they able to get a snowmoble or ATV in to get you or was it man power that got you out?
                Seems like all the peaks are trying to copy the west side of Sugarloaf this season.
                Heal well and spring will be here before you know it.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. In all, two ATVs and a stretcher (man power) were used to navigate the snow mobile trail.
                  The experience has made me realize the importance of having a satellite beacon when hiking alone. Had my cell phone not had coverage, my story might have been quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by maphiker View Post
                    Thanks for your comment. Perhaps I confused you. I did not go up the south side and I know nothing about its current condition. I went up the so called "western approach" which is a real bushwack hike. It starts at the end of Gillipse Rd., goes up the back side of Roundtop from the west, across the col between RT and KHP, and then up the western side of KHP. You may not need a GPS but one would definitely help if you are not familiar with the route. It's a beautiful hike, perhaps one of the best in the Catskills.
                    Ah, in that case, I retract my smart-a$$ comment!
                    Tom Rankin - 5444W, etc., etc.

Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
                    Member #0003 - ADKHP Foundation
                    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
                    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
                    CEO - Views And Brews

Comment

Scary! Glad you made it out OK with the great help of the rangers and others. I guess another reminder of how a beautiful solo hike can change so very rapidly. Get well fast.
                      And because of all their tears
                      Their eyes can't hope to see
                      The beauty that surrounds them
                      Isn't it a pity
                      -George Harrison

Comment

I echo the sentiments of everyone else: glad to hear you made it back safely and heal quickly! =)
                        ---------------
                        http://QuixoticJedi.com
                        \m/(>.<)\m/ Peakbagger.com Page

35R #1819/733W
                        CHH: 46/102
                        Grid: 254/420 (20/35 for July)
                        ADK: 25/46

Originally posted by Kahlil Gibran
                        Sayings remain meaningless until they are embodied in habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay H View Post
                          Well, a slip on the south side might mean worse than a broken ankle!

Jay
                          But, Why does that make you smile...?????
                          Natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally. Trees are referred to in accounts of the principal events of Buddha's life. His mother leaned against a tree for support as she gave birth to him. He attained enlightenment seated beneath a tree, and finally passed away as trees stood witness overhead. H.H. D. L.

"experience is something you don't get until after you need it, that's the problem." - Joe Simpson

As I was walking - I saw a sign there
                          And that sign said - No tresspassin'
                          But on the other side - it didn't say nuthin'
                          Now that side was made for you and me!
                          - Woody Guthrie -

Charter Member of the Tongue-In-Cheek Club (TIC)

Comment

Originally posted by maphiker View Post
                            Had my cell phone not had coverage, my story might have been quite different.
                            Yep...I second that one....and dare I say ..SPOT!!!

let the debate begin....
                            Natural environment sustains the life of all beings universally. Trees are referred to in accounts of the principal events of Buddha's life. His mother leaned against a tree for support as she gave birth to him. He attained enlightenment seated beneath a tree, and finally passed away as trees stood witness overhead. H.H. D. L.

"experience is something you don't get until after you need it, that's the problem." - Joe Simpson

As I was walking - I saw a sign there
                            And that sign said - No tresspassin'
                            But on the other side - it didn't say nuthin'
                            Now that side was made for you and me!
                            - Woody Guthrie -

Charter Member of the Tongue-In-Cheek Club (TIC)

Comment

Originally posted by Zer0-G View Post
                              But, Why does that make you smile...?????
                              .................................................. .............^

But so are you!!

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                              X