Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Rockies: Mt-Rundle, Mt-Temple, Middle Sister Mtn, Alberta. Aug.7- 18th, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Rockies: Mt-Rundle, Mt-Temple, Middle Sister Mtn, Alberta. Aug.7- 18th, 2021

A year ago I felt the need to climb some high altitude peaks, something I had never done. My original goal was the 14ers in the Colorado Rockies, but with the border closure, I planned and researched a 12 day trip to the Canadian Rockies in Alberta. During that time I climbed locally, climbed stairs and studied all the beta and trip reports for 3 accessible peaks that ranged from 9675' to 11,621': Mt-Rundle, Mt-Temple, Middle Sister.

Trip report: Mt-Rundle, Banff, Alberta.

The second peak from the left is Mt-Rundle at 9675'. 10 miles round trip. Elevation gain: 5250'. Date: August 9th, 2021
    .​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Mt-Rundle is a popular hike due to its proximity to Banff. It's also been the site of many serious accidents and deaths over the years. The week before I arrived summit temps were 14 F with snow, not including wind chill.
    Day of the hike : 6am. Clear blue skies. Cool temps. The day before the mountains were covered in a smoky haze from the forest fires in B.C. The trail ( hard packed, smooth, well-maintained) begins next to a golf course (hmmm, now where I have I seen that before...) and snakes through open spruce forests. After a series of swithchbacks and crossing a huge gully, the serious climbing begins.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​