Grand Canyon South Rim-to-Rim April 6 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Canyon South Rim-to-Rim April 6 2019

I was in Phoenix last week for a conference (high on Tuesday was a sweltering 96 F, just a disgusting place to live) and made some time the weekend before to hike in the Grand Canyon. This was planned by a French co-worker of mine who hikes regularly in the Pyrenees and has also done a North-to-South unsupported winter traverse of Iceland, so he's a strong hiker.

Anyway, it was indeed a strange hike. It's an upside-down mountain; you start at 7,200 feet elevation and 32 F and the mid-point is 2,000 feet and 85 F. The last 6 miles is also very nearly continuously uphill. So despite being used to long straight uphill hiking, I was a bit spent by doing 4,500 feet of it.

It took us 2 hours down and 5 hours up.

Some notes:
    The trails are like sidewalks; if you go, you only need sneakers
    It was very green, I was surprised
    April is great for camping at the rim, but the campground was sold out the entire weekend (so plan ahead)
    The canyon seems smaller from inside, even though it seems to continuously unfold
    People drink too much water; I did the round trip on 1L, mostly consumed at the bottom where it was 85 F

Anyway, there are pics and stuff in the link if you want.

Lastly: If you want to read about an amazing Grand Canyon hike, try reading Rik's double-cross post from a few years ago: https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-canyon?t=8367
    ADK 46/46W + MacNaughton, Grid 266/552
    Photos & Stuff

Well done. You made the trip I wanted to make in 1991 but I wasn't able to get to the Kaibab trail easily. I could walk to Bright Angel, so I did a down and back to the Colorado as a day trip. I still consider that the most difficult hike I've ever have done. A factor is I wasn't hiking much when I did it. I'd been warned about the corkscrew and made it down it and up it before getting too hot. Then the climb from Indian Garden to the rim was the hardest part.

Don

Comment

• autochromatica
      autochromatica commented
      Editing a comment
      It was harder than I expected. I'm still not sure about the elevation gain, I started feeling like I do on 6,000+ vertical days. (Brouter indicates a whole lot more vertical than that!)

Anyway, thanks Don. I suspect it wouldn't be quite as hard for you now.

• Hear the Footsteps
      Hear the Footsteps commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, seems wrong, but in my 60's and after this winter in particular it just might be easier .
      Don

Maybe Trail Boss can chime in with some thoughts here: Brouter reports this hike to be 16 miles (seems roughly correct) but 7,500 vertical feet (felt correct, but shouldn't be!).

I normally apply a 10-20% reduction in Brouter numbers, but even that puts the vertical gain at 6,000 vertical feet. That's what it felt like, maybe more, but that's far more than on the signage.

Here is a link: http://brouter.de/brouter-web/#map=17/36.05774/-112.14049/OpenStreetMap&lonlats=-112.083832,36.05286|-112.089758,36.101472|-112.090938,36.100639|-112.111387,36.098141|-112.127584,36.077997|-112.143706,36.057232
    Photos & Stuff

Comment

Wow, looks like an awesome trip! Definitely a bucket list hike for me. Your photos are incredible as always.

Comment

Nice pics and report. Something I'd like to do. Would you compare it to Dix Range in a day or harder?
        Catskills: 39/39, 35W/35W
        ADK: 46/46

Comment

Originally posted by Nivek View Post
          Nice pics and report. Something I'd like to do. Would you compare it to Dix Range in a day or harder?
          Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not sure. It shouldn't be harder than the Dixes, but my knee-jerk response is that yes, it was harder. (Important: I'm a wilting flower in the heat, so things got much harder for me at the bottom where it was 85 degrees F and sunny.)
          Photos & Stuff

Comment

Nice images, write-up/story Sean
            www.brandtbolding.com

Comment

I was in Phoenix the 9th - 16th specifically to hike. Over the course of 6 days I hiked Picketpost (most like the ADKS), 3 trails in Sedona, Peralta in the Superstitions, Barnhardt Trail in Payson, Dutchman Trail in the 'supes, and the Granite Mountain Hotshot Memorial Trail in Yarnell.

Phoenix itself is ungodly hot in the summer, but you're never more than a couple hour drive from some incredible hiking. I am planning to hike north rim to south rim next May as that's the earliest the north rim road will be open. It's a 22 mile slog, but I think I will camp at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon for a night.

Great pictures!!

Comment

Originally posted by WeHikeForMike View Post
                I was in Phoenix the 9th - 16th specifically to hike. Over the course of 6 days I hiked Picketpost (most like the ADKS), 3 trails in Sedona, Peralta in the Superstitions, Barnhardt Trail in Payson, Dutchman Trail in the 'supes, and the Granite Mountain Hotshot Memorial Trail in Yarnell.

Phoenix itself is ungodly hot in the summer, but you're never more than a couple hour drive from some incredible hiking. I am planning to hike north rim to south rim next May as that's the earliest the north rim road will be open. It's a 22 mile slog, but I think I will camp at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon for a night.

Great pictures!!
                Cool!

Did you read Rik's trip report about going South Rim to North Rim to South Rim in a single hike? https://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/...-canyon?t=8367
                Photos & Stuff

Comment

• WeHikeForMike
                  WeHikeForMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the link in my email..... lunchtime read!
              Working...
              X