Shenandoah: Bear Fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenandoah: Bear Fence

Hello. Just wondering if anyone here has hiked bearfence? I hope to take my 10 and 11 year old kids on this hike, they have climbed a number of ADK high peaks as well as a few other mountains. What I've read about bearfence talks about difficult scrambles and ledges, could anyone compare the type of scrambles on that hike to what I buy to be familiar with on a typical adk high peak?

If it's nothing more than I would have encountered on the final bit of McIntyre, then they will be able to easily achieve the scramble.

Thanks!
    Josh

I hiked Bearfence Mountain (along with Hawksbill & Stony Man) with my then-4-month-pregnant wife back in April 2017. There are definitely some cool scrambles, but everything was well-blazed with plenty of hand holds & foot holds. I don't recall anything prohibitively difficult about it. I'd say it's probably comparable to the final push up Algonquin.
    From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Comment

Thank you! Sounds like it'll be a great one for my crew.

Comment

I did it last year in mid December with ice and snow and was a bit tricky.
        3rd hardest after rip rap and old rag but only for a short section. the whole hike is very short compared to ADK.
        Stony man and hawks bill are super super easy.

Comment

Working...
        X