Arizona hiking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona hiking

I will be spending some time in Arizona in Sedona and the Grand Canyon area for the Christmas holiday. We will be doing a couple easy 1/2 day hikes and was wondering if I need to bring my Salomon high top hiking boots to fend off snakes, scorpions, debris etc or can I get by with low hiking shoes. If anyone has an idea of good hikes in the area please let me know. Antelope Canyon looks really cool.

Merry Christmas to you! I love that area and hope to be hiking out there in February so will be waiting to hear how your trip went. It has been a while since I hiked in Sedona, but all of the trails were very forgiving. I have not been to Antelope Canyon but it looks neat. I usually just wear sneakers when I'm hiking in AZ. The thing to be aware of for that time of year is that you can get freezing temperatures and snow. I wouldn't hike with my summer mesh sneakers, but probably a low top hiking shoe with Gore Tex and some really good socks. I would also have my Microspikes with me. Flagstaff has some gear stores if you need anything.

Comment

• Runty
      Runty commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the input. I’ll bring some light hikers and keep an eye out for snow.

I was there briefly in early March this year, & did a very nice loop starting & ending at Cathedral Rock. Cathedral Rock is very busy, sort of a tourist attraction, but it's nice -- and once off the other side, it was much less crowded. It's a neat area. I just wore regular, low hiking shoes. I posted a small album on Facebook:

Comment

• Runty
      Runty commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like an awesome area. Thanks for the tip.

I've hiked Arizona a few times. Really cool place especially Sedona. I put together a few pics from a pretty easy hike up Doe Mountain in Sedona. I have a ton more photos of other hikes but here's a quick sample. Have fun out there!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/103741...57703646040355
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity
    -George Harrison

Comment

I was there back in April.. I hiked Wasoon in Tucson, Camelback, and Squaw in Phoenix, Flat Iron and Wave Cave in the Superstitions, and the granddaddy of them all, Humphrey's in Flagstaff. Wore my regular Oboz for all of the hikes except Humphrey's, that was winter Oboz with Hillsounds. As I drove to Flagstaff for Humphrey's, Sedona was MOST inviting. I plan to be back sooner than later.

Comment

I spent one week in Arizona last May. Very nice !!!! We did one backpack in Petrified Forest National Park (no water, we had to bring everything in !!), we had fun in some very cool cliff dwellings in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness, and climbed Kendrick Peak (Humphrey's was closed because ofthe risk of fires.

The Sedona area did seem amazingly beautiful - and there were some cliff dwellings in that area as well (not done, not enough time)...

In terms of footwear, I had either approach shoes or non-goretex trailrunners with running gaiters to prevent debris from getting in the shoes, but this was May - very summer-y weather....

Here is a link to my pics to give you an idea...enjoy ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjohik...57669476534908
        'As you go the way of life, you will see a great chasm. Jump. It is not as wide as you think'. From a Native American initiation rite
        'Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been - Tool
        Lyon Mountain Trail Adopter

Comment

Working...
        X