X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvey Mt, N. Columbia County 7-6-10

Harvey Mt (Columbia County)
    July 6th 2010 ,Woolybear (Paul Swieton)

Another in a collection of local hikes. Harvey Mt is a nice little hike/walk in northern columbia county just outside of Austerlitz. Now there are as I see it two main ways to do this. You can go by the AMC guide book and park were they suggested then walk up what seems to now be a season rd to the Harvey Mt trail/road spur. Or you can drive up to the spur and park there. Plenty of room and I didn’t see any no parking signs. It all depends how much distance you want. I parked at the bottom and opted for the longer walk with 73% humidity and 94 degrees temp maybe that wasn’t the best choice (no matter I had plenty of water and I’m stubborn or was that stupid). Now if your going the longer way there are some kind of hidden yellow blazed foot paths just of the road on your right about 800 ft in from the roads beginning. Most people seem to drive or walk the road since the trail was in some places badly overgrown and choked with spider webs. In places the ferns were waist deep. This is definitely not a place for shorts unless you want a tick bite http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...05384701KscPOm. Outside of the extra trails the actual trail up to Harvey Mt is a old access road and is in great shape (mountain bikers would certainly enjoy it as more a moderate work out with some nice pay of in views). From the beginning of the actual spur trail its just under a mile to the top. Just short of the top you get some wonderful views of Monument Mt in Massachusetts and the Taconic Ridge (not today so much with the haze) http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...05384701ujKkLC. As you continue on the road stops and become a actual trail that takes you into the woods across the state border and on into Mass.
    Not sure I’d go to far out of my way for this one but it’s a short jump of I-90 (mass pike) and worth a stop if your in the area and want a short nice outing.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Catskill 3500 #1824/#729W
    ADK 26/46

Views & Brews NY, VT, RI, DE, NH, NJ, CT, WV, MA
    Taconic Crest End to Ender, CL 50

Sounds like a nice hike; pic # 7 just oozes with humidity.......

Isn't that the site of the old Kingsmont camp?
    https://picasaweb.google.com/masshysteria1958

Comment

Originally posted by masshysteria View Post
      Sounds like a nice hike; pic # 7 just oozes with humidity.......

Isn't that the site of the old Kingsmont camp?
      I don't know anything about the Kingsmont camp sorry. No sign of any old camp or any other structures (except for stone walls) anywhere up on the mountain. There were some estates and a high class artist community (with lots of public keep out signs) on the road up to the trail head though.
      "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
      Napoleon Bonaparte

Catskill 3500 #1824/#729W
      ADK 26/46

Views & Brews NY, VT, RI, DE, NH, NJ, CT, WV, MA
      Taconic Crest End to Ender, CL 50

Comment

Nice! That shot of the ferns makes me think of our trek up the shoulder of Lone(Loon), though I don't recall the ferns being waist high.
        "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

Finished my Harvey Mt exploration... I hiked to Harvey Mtn from the Beebe Hill firetower parking area. THe maps on the town I think is incorrect and the region 4 DEC could do a lot better job marking the "trail" in between the Bear Brook bridge and the Rt 22 crossing and the Rt 22 to the East Hil Road trail Tons of blowdown between Rt 22 and the East Hill Road trail and the trail journal and horrid markings on some of the places where the trail turns. I wound up wandering around the east side of Rt 22 for like 20 minutes trying to find the trail continuation. I also think the maps on Austerlitz's website it incorrect. There is another bridge you can see in between the Bear Brook bridge and the Green River bridge as the trail makes a 90deg left turn. It is not marked in any way other than flagging and that bridge that goes straight goes to Rt 22 but way south of where the red trail supposely crosses rt 22. Do Not go over that bridge, just make the left turn and follow the snowmobile trail for a bit til you will find the right bridge over the green river that you need to cross. Even then somewhere up the trail, I must of missed the trail split as I followed the trail to Rt 22 and east Hill road, still about 500 ft south of where the trail crosses rt 22. I just walked up rt 22 til I saw the hiker crossing sign then I wandered into the woods til I finally saw a marker.. (that you cannot see from the road!)

Jay

Life is a short, warm moment
          And death is a long cold rest.
          You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye:
          Eighty years, with luck, or even less.
          -Pink Floyd

Comment

Did you have a straight forward hike to the top of sHarvey before losing the trail?

It was 94 when Wooly did it. Was it cooler for you, Jay?
            I might be kidding...

Comment

It was a bit cooler. I could of ice skated on the snowmobile trails but used snowshoes to hike up Harvey which is not on the snowmobile route, apparently. Had a good view of Greylock in the col of a lesser peak and could see Butternut down in Great Barrington from the summit area which is full of blueberries in the summer... There is a path that heads towards West Stockbridge, MA but have no idea where it goes...Flagged with flagging and somebody postholed it to death..

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Jay H View Post
                There is a path that heads towards West Stockbridge, MA but have no idea where it goes...Flagged with flagging and somebody postholed it to death..
                a bit of a longshot, but i would be very curious to know about this path too. there is lots of really great trail work in the area done by mountain biking groups, and i am curious if this is an extension of that (and not as well documented because it is on MA land, not NY) or just a private landowner with a connecting path to the state land.

Comment

I believe most of the MTB trails from the Beebe MTB'ers are mostly towards the Fog Hill Road section. If you hike the short trail from Fog Hill to No Bottom Pond, you'll cross a bunch of new MTB trails as made by the Beebe MTBers Surely they would probably be a good resourse to ask if they know about the trail from the Harvey Summit in MA but it could as well be local homeowners or so in MA with their own trail to the Harvey Summit. There is no "public land" that I can see in Google Maps nor that I know of on the MA side... But as you can see I did this hike back in 2014 and it's now 5+ years later and maybe time to revisit it...

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

thanks for the input. your thought process was the same as mine - i assume it is private land, but was planning on asking the MTB crew if they had any better info. googling around i saw this thread and figured i should give it a shot.

in unrelated news, you may or may not recall but we just missed crossing paths on greylock a few winter's back. you left a note in the snow marking where i should turn to keep on the AT, a story i fondly recalled while up on those trails last week. thanks for that! i live in the berkshires now so i am able to visit greylock regularly and am getting to know all the trails.

Comment

Ha, I do remember that hike... That's cool, if you do find out anything, post it here or let me know. It could also well be a path from Camp Kingsmont because I looked up where that camp was, it would make total sense that there would be paths up to the summit of harvey from where I could see where they are. Since it's not state land, it would not be marked by MA DCR or anything.... the camp appears to be defunct now but it was a summer camp for a while back int he 80s and 90s from what I could gather...

Funny that you say you now live in the Berkshires, I just moved to NY last year though just across the border...

-Pink Floyd

Comment

i've considered the 'ask forgiveness' approach, just heading down the path until i find either no trespassing signs or where the path spits out. but for now i still have plenty of other trails to explore and i will limit my curiosity to being online.

i switched locations the other way and am loving it, but i commute on 90 so trails like harvey are sometimes a nice break for the ride home. i assume you have visited harvey during blueberry season but if not you really need to.

Comment

Yes I have visited harvey during blueberry season, in fact it was my first observation of the summit was that this would make a great blueberry picking summit. I have blueberries in my backyard so that is a luxury that I don't ahve to go anywhere to pick blueberries and raspberries and blackberries

Jay

-Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                          X