Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADKJack
    replied
    Well it appears that the DEC is going to do the majority of the cleanup. It is possible that we will offer some assistance if requested but probably only a couple people would be needed if at all.

Leave a comment:

• ADKJack
    started a topic Major Cleanup Effort Possible

Major Cleanup Effort Possible

When we first took on the restoration and maintenance of the fire tower we learned of a area on a sub-summit where there had been materials air dropped for a prior renovation attempt. Mostly lengths of 2x10’s, some fencing and a work box with various tools, and paint items. It was this area where they air dropped the crated roof panels that had been assembled off premises by Slamdog, Ward and Mace to be uncreated and reassembled atop the cab. it is also the same area we had been directed to put all the replaced stair tread, old roof and fencing and random pieces of metal and junk discarded around the tower. DEC provided a large flight bag to use to remove most of the debris by helicopter. Unfortunately for I suspect a variety of reasons the airlift never happened and everything has sat there for the ten years we have been involved plus however long the prior drop was made.

Last week I was made aware that there had been some vandalism on the slab of rock on which the tower stands. There was some spray painted graffiti which had been already remediated by the Rangers that oversee that area. I telephoned the Ranger who was making calls to folks to try and deters time for when the crime was committed. Our conversation came around to cleaning up the debris that has accumulated. He is highly motivated to get this done as soon as possible. The details of which still need to be worked out but whatever the details turn out to be it will require many hands to collect, stack, bag and carry out the debris.

Mountainman John and I went up yesterday to remove several blow down trees off the trail and to inspect the tower and clean up around the area. Fortunately there was no graffiti in or on the tower but we picked some of older debris around the perimeter and I carried out all the old paint, tools and other crap I could fit in my 60L pack.

So now that you have the history once I speak with the Ranger again on more specific’s we will be in search of volunteers to help out over the next several weeks possibly to organize all the stuff up there for airlift and carry out.

I will post as soon as I know more.

Working...
X