Fire towers closed temporarily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire towers closed temporarily

Just received official notice that all fire towers have been closed due to the small size of the cabs (7’x7’) too close for multiple people during the current guidelines for social contact.

The trails are open but please refrain from climbing the towers
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Just rec'd a detailed info from the tower coordinator where I volunteer in the Cats. Cab locked shut, privy door screwed shut, cabin closed, and gate to the tower's base secured to keep contamination off stair handrails. Let's see how long it take before someone tries to scale around the locked tower gate...
    "The mountains are like a museum where the exhibits change every month" ...Ralph Ryndak, Catskill Explorer

Comment

So yeah, no door on the cab for ours and not planning on installing one anytime soon. Trail remains open
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

More info... no towers will be counted toward the Fire Tower Challenge during the closure...

Fire Tower Challenge Temporarily Suspended

Notice from the ADK Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter

As of this morning, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) has closed access to all NYSDEC controlled fire towers. In response and effective immediately, the ADK (Adirondack Mountain Club) Fire Tower Challenge is suspended until further notice. This action was taken by the ADK Glens Falls-Saratoga Chapter, which manages the challenge, in support of New York State’s effort to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Trails remain open, but no one may climb any of the fire towers until this restriction has been lifted. NYSDEC has posted signs at trailheads and on the towers.

As difficult as this decision is, we feel it is necessary to discourage nonessential travel. Hikes of fire tower mountains cannot be applied toward the ADK Fire Tower Challenge during this emergency closure period.

Comment

• Hear the Footsteps
          Hear the Footsteps commented
          Editing a comment
          :That was fast.....from towers to the trails that is.

To be clear, The trails are all open. Many challenges are continuing. Only the fire tower structures themselves are closed. Only the ADK Fire Tower Challenge is not counting at this time.

NYSDEC feels that the virus can live on metal for a lengthy period of time and of course the tower structure itself does not make it easy to be separated by the recommended 6 feet, so as a precaution this closure is in place.

We have talked about industrial wipes and steam cleaners to wipe the towers down........could be a new business venture for someone?

NYS does recommend that you get out and hike locally, practicing social distancing while doing so and staying clear of busy trailheads.

Comment

I want to thank Head Forester Tate Connor who climbed Adams himself to place the sign across the stairway saving me the trip. I will be happy to go up myself and take it down once we are in the clear.
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Originally posted by Laurie Rankin View Post
            To be clear, The trails are all open. Many challenges are continuing. Only the fire tower structures themselves are closed. Only the ADK Fire Tower Challenge is not counting at this time.
            This is quite the knee-jerk over-reaction from the ADK, since the book clearly states that one does not need to actually climb the tower to get credit.

Tom (Yes, I'm an author for ADK!) Rankin

Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
            Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
            Past President Catskill 3500 Club
            CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Is it really an over reaction when the authorities want us to stay in place and not travel?

Comment

After multiple accounts of large crowds in the Highpeaks yesterday I made a post on the foundation’s FB page this morning asking folks to Not climb Mt. Adams at this time. Here is why.
                1) it is a steep climb to a treed summit with no views from the base of the tower.
                2) The DEC owns the tower and has closed it along with all the others for the reasons mentioned above.
                3) There are reports of people removing the rope or chains and signage at the stairs.
                4) The Fire Tower Challenge is not recognizing any towers being climbed at this time, and let’s be real no one is going to make that climb without wanting the payoff from the tower.

i hope that we will be able to open again when doing so is not a threat to public safety.
                Thank you for you understanding.
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                X