Trail work 11/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail work 11/9

Looks like we should get a team together to check the tower and trail next weekend after the wind and flooding over the past few days.
    bridge over the Hudson is looking pretty bad. If interested please respond here.
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Posted on the FFLA Facebook Page in hopes you may get a few people to assist. Thanks for jumping right on this!

Comment

Thanks Laurie, I was just reminded that I have a previous family engagement in Boston this weekend so I will not be able to head up the project after all
      "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
      Ed Viesturs

Comment

There is a chance I can be there in the morning. Mtn Man John has volunteered to help out so far.
        Ed Viesturs

Comment

I'm in, so I'll look for John (and others) on Saturday morning.

Comment

• ADKJack
            ADKJack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Ken!

I might be able to make it on Sat. What about posting on the Fire Tower FB page?

Comment

• ADKJack
            ADKJack commented
            Editing a comment
            Laurie Rankin already posted, got 1 more volunteer from that. I am looking at meeting at the trailhead at 9:00

Sasso is in also!
          Ed Viesturs

Comment

Beautiful day on Adams today - a slice of winter arrived early with -9C at the parking lot when we got there. Just a centimeter or two of snow on the ground for most of the hike to the top. MtnManJohn and I had arrived a little early and ADKJack had called to say he and some of the rest of the crew were running a little late. After a quick discussion, John and I opted to start slowly up the trail rather than stand in a cold parking lot waiting. Headed down to the Hudson expecting to clear off the bridge... but it had already been cleared(!) (perhaps by a larger group that had headed to Allen earlier in the morning). One cable seems to have slipped (stretched?) during the high water (and likely high force on the bridge) resulting in a lopsided crossing... but it seems perfectly safe. Maybe want to limit it to one or two people on the bridge at a time until the DEC comes to pull the cables back into alignment.

John and I tackled about 8 or 9 blow downs along the trail. That's comparable to what we clear on a typical spring trail sweep after a full winter... but this was what came down after the (single) storm last week. Most were pretty small but a few took us a little time. All in all it was easier than expected. Sounds like some areas further south got hit quite a bit harder. My big trail saw handled most of the trees with ease. There are still a couple of larger diameter trees but they are either on the ground (step over) or still up in the canopy (and reasonably secure) so we may tackle them in future trail sweeps. The bigger task was walking up the icy slabs in the last half mile of the trail. The dusting of snow hid a few patches of ice but the bigger ones were easily spotted. Microspikes worked for me for the most part with only one or two spots that needed some careful footwork to get around some harder ice.

As luck would have it, the "reinforcements" arrived moments after we got to the summit.... but knowing they were coming up behind us was a good morale boost for John and I as we worked our way up. Appreciate them offering to help out. It could have been much worse and then their help would have been invaluable. The tower itself was in good shape - all the fencing was secure so its ready for the winter ahead.

The day was certainly a good day to break out all the winter gear and remind myself what winter hiking is all about. I forgot some items but this is not a long enough walk to worry about that and I'll restock the pack for next time. Stayed warm all day and managed the icy trail reasonably well. Just getting over a cold so I took the opportunity to suck some cold, clean air into the lungs after a few weeks of congestion and inactivity. Bring on the (real) winter!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your work and for this great write up. A reminder to us all to be sure we have everything in the winter pack.

Comment

I cannot thank John, Ken and Lori enough for the work they did Saturday. I had decided that rather than risk traveling the backroads up to Adams after some of the washouts last week it would be prudent to take the extra time to take the Thruway from Syracuse to Albany and the Northway up to Boreas rd and come in that way. Given the circumstances it seemed safer.
                then just past Dolgeville an 18wheeler overturned closing the thruway in both directions so I ended up coming up from Dolgeville via Rte 10 causing me to arrive at about 9:10. I met and introduced myself to Lori and figured I would find Ken and John working on the bridge as a hauled down the shovel and mattock I had bright to help clear the debris only to find the bridge cleared.
                I went back to my car and returned those tools and grabbed a saw and some loppers and Lori and I headed out in hopes of catching up with them. Since my plan had been to help clear the bridge and bring some tools I had no intention of going to the summit so I did not even have my pack with me
                We did not catch them.
                fortunately we did catch up with two friends of Johns who were nice enough to hike with Lori to the top where they met the dynamic duo. Meanwhile I scampered back down grab the roll of wire I had in my car and did my best to re-attach some of the fencing on the bridge that had been torn loose by the water and debris. I had also brought a crow bar with me in hopes of being able to tension up some of the slack in the upstream cable. While I was able to get a few good turns on the large turnbuckle it was not enough to make any significant difference so I then jumped into the car and headed out to Boston for a family event I had previously forgotten about before volunteering to take on the task.
                Again thank you all fo coming out on a brisk day to do the excellent work you always do
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

Working...
                X