Helicopter on Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter on Hurricane

Saw an interesting sight yesterday around 3 PM while we were out walking the dog. A helicopter flew over our neighborhood, and then landed on the summit of Hurricane; stayed a couple minutes and then took off again.

We can see Hurricane right from our road, so we could see the helicopter sitting there for a couple minutes.

Don't know if this was SAR related, or perhaps delivering materials for a trail or tower project, but it was certainly interesting.

Anyone know the story?

We were on Upper Washbowl practicing a rescue scenario and heard the chopper too. Wonder what that was about?
    May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

Now I have the info: It was a material delivery - a roll of wire fencing for the tower. So mystery solved.

Comment

That's an expensive way to deliver. What the heck they using for fencing? Lol.

Comment

• gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          Around the stair case to prevent people from falling off?

Pretty heavy roll of fence. I've carried up smaller pieces, but I guess the project required a bigger piece:

Comment

Fencing for the stairs and landings I presume.
          Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
          Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
          Past President Catskill 3500 Club
          CEO Views And Brews!

Comment

Does Hurricane's fire tower cab still need roof work?

Comment

• tcd
              tcd commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the cab is all done. And yes, I think the fencing is for the stairs and landings. If I recall correctly, we've had problems with the lighter duty fencing suffering wind damage, so I think this is beefier fence.

• Hear the Footsteps
              Hear the Footsteps commented
              Editing a comment
              tcd your comment on light duty fencing beat me to the punch.
              Hope this is heavy duty stuff.
              I've seen towers a number of times where the fencing is off the structure of just plain ruptured. I bet winter snow and ice can do lots of damage.
          Working...
          X