X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiker burns clothes to light the way down the mountain

Now we go from bear, to bare!

https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...or-torchlight/

And this one is apparently true, given a ranger was involved.
    Tom Rankin - 5444W "In the depths of Summer, I finally learned that there lay within me an invincible Winter"

Proud Member #0003 of ADKHP Foundation
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO Views And Brews!

I suspect that for the torch burners might have had human sacrifice as their 11th essential if they had not rescued in a timely manner! :P

Comment

This one gave me a laugh! It has a Gilligan's Island feel.
      Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
      ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Makwa
        Makwa commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking back now it is evident the Howells and Ginger were survivalists. They went on a 3-hour tour... a 3-hour tour... on a tiny boat and brought steamer trunks full of clothes. Definitely a prepper move. The rest had just the clothes on their back.... which never got dirty or became threadbare after all that time on the island.

Well duh. Flashlights are cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by TFR View Post
        Now we go from bear, to bare!
        Well...at least this group didn't pee on each other to try and keep warm.
        May your ambition for the goal allow you to be a student of the journey.

www.adirondackmountaineering.com

Comment

I have to ask... they were on a mountain surrounded by trees and they chose to use their clothes to make torches?

Comment

• gebby
            gebby commented
            Editing a comment
            Makwa that poor woman who died on MacNaughton a few years ago tried to light her fleece gloves on fire to stay warm, but fleece melts and does not burn.

• mbowler
            mbowler commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you ever tried to make a torch with a stick? Does not produce much light, or flame for more than a few seconds, even after holding it in a roaring fire for a few minutes. As a kid we used to make torches with plastic bags wrapped around the end of a stick. This worked wonderfully, though somewhat of a flame dripping fire hazard. Maybe a nylon rain jacket would work similarly. I admire these two for their resourcefulness, though not necessarily their preparedness.

• Makwa
            Makwa commented
            Editing a comment
            I get what you're saying. I was just thinking I woulda tried to used the most abundant fuel source. You can only burn your clothes once. And how long would they burn for? A few minutes?

The plastic bag idea is interesting. I always have a bunch of those on me. Though something must have to go terribly wrong with every other light source I carry before I would have to resort to that.

Sadly, this one is very true. Ranger "SVL" confirmed it on twitter recently. As funny as this one is, it could have gone haywire in a number of ways, especially if they were wearing sport-specific hiking clothing. Ever catch your tech fabrics on fire? What a mess.

I've seen some weird stuff out in the back country, but this one would have taken the cake.
          My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

Working...
          X