Bear Escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Escape

I suppose this belongs here since there was SAR activity involved.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a33850667/rachel-smith-spends-night-in-tree-to-escape-bear/

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

There are some strange anomalies about this story. Normally I don't care to comment about a sensitive thing like assault but the human/bear relationship in the Adirondacks it strained enough as it is so I have a few questions and comments.

I was told that bears can out run and out climb people.

I have never heard of bears chasing people for 5 miles.

If a human is chased by a bear for 5 miles the bear will definitely catch the human.

If a bear chases you for 5 miles it is gonna try climbing the tree to get you. There better be a tree with gouges in it.

"She threw her sports bra, socks, and shoes down at the bear to scare her off" - A bear just chased you 5 miles. These items are not going to scare it and could definitely help in your survival.

If these facts stand should we not be armed in the woods? At least with bear spray and an air horn if not some beefy fire arm?

If I am confused about these things please enlighten me.

Leave No Trace! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXO1uY0MvmQ
    ThereAndBack http://www.hikesafe.com/

Comment

• Makwa
      Makwa commented
      Editing a comment
      And you probably don't believe Davy Crockett kilt himself a bar when he was only 3.

My guess is that whatever distance she traveled through the brush seemed like 5 miles but was likely far far less. The article called it a rough estimate.

There have been some very strange rescue stories across the country over the past several years. Lots of conflicting info leads you to believe many were a bunch of hooey. My knee jerk reaction is that I don't always believe those stories but later generally conclude it was the error of the reporter in recounting the story rather than a fabrication in the first place. If the story doesn't add up it is usually outed at some point. There have been more than a few where people were doing things and were places they weren't suppose to be then cooked up a harrowing tale to provide themselves cover. I'm still waiting to find out the real story of the Whiteface skier who supposedly hitched a ride all the way to California.

I won't be carrying bear spray, or a gun, or an air horn any time soon. There have been so few deaths by black bear in the northeast over the past 100 years that I am not at all concerned.
      Last edited by Makwa; 09-08-2020, 01:31 PM.

• gebby
      gebby commented
      Editing a comment
      I do know on social media, the feeling was "bear" was code for "new boyfriend"! :P

Makwa I was thinking the same thing in terms of her story. Do I believe she was chased by a bear for 5 miles, and beat the bear up a tree? Nope. Do I believe that she was accurately quoted to begin with? Also no.

There's way too much wrong with that scenario. She's not outrunning a healthy bear, period. Nobody is, especially off road through the ADK. Would a mother bear with cubs pursue somebody over multiple miles to scare them off? Very unlikely. Could she actually out-climb a bear? Also very unlikely. This story, as it was published, makes about as much sense as salamander guy's tale. I suspect it has more to do with some creative liberties being taken by Runner's World than exaggerated story telling by the article's subject. But then again, people do like to tell dramatic tales.

This version of the story makes much more sense. A very non-detailed story about a person who went for a jog, encountered a bear, and climbed a tree for a sense of safety when the bear gave a half-hearted warning charge. https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...--getting-lost

Same with this one: https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/ne...charging-bear/
    My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the west.

Comment

I read this story somewhere awhile back. I thought most of it was BS and still do. You cannot outrun a bear, period. And much more.

Comment

All of the above. Too many oddball details to be completely believable. 12 summers at "Adirondack woodcraft camps" did not teach her much. At a recent SAR team meeting I was informed that this is not how the story unraveled at all, which may or may not be simply a rumor, so I will take what I heard as such. Other events were allegedly underway that night with this attractive young lady that her father did not approve of.
        "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that would possibly shed some light on certain aspects of this story.

I was just talking to my buddy The Walking Fred (FWCIII) about this story. I said, "Why would you throw your sports bra at a bear?" He says, "Was the bear Tom Jones?"

You younger forum members might not get the reference but I've been laughing for the past ten minutes at that line.

Comment

• gebby
          gebby commented
          Editing a comment
          "What's new pussycat?"!

• Makwa
          Makwa commented
          Editing a comment
          Hmmm... I just read "It's Not Unusual" to throw your bra at a bear.

• FlyFishingandBeer
          FlyFishingandBeer commented
          Editing a comment
          Its not unusual to go out at any time, or be caught hanging about in a tree when pursued by a bear either apparently.

Edit: I just realized that throwing one's bra at a bear just became the 2020 version eating salamanders. What at time to be alive. Or to be a bear.

Thought the same thing. Seeking her "15 minutes of fame" with the bra reference. Didn't want to say the "mysogonist" truth, but now I see everyone else has caught on.

Yawn.

Comment

I would have definitely climbed the tree if she threw her sports bra at me...unfortunately I can no longer run 5 miles to chase her...lol.

Comment

Working...
          X