Missing Possibly in High peaks region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sad.

War is hell and it doesn't end when the combat is over.

An excerpt from General Douglas MacArthur's Farewell Speech given to the Corps of Cadets at West Point on May 12, 1962

"This does not mean that you are warmongers. On the contrary, the soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: "Only the dead have seen the end of war.""

He chose to find his way to Scarface... May he rest in peace.
    “Keep close to Nature's heart...and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
    -John Muir

ADK 46-R 7090W
    Saranac Lake 6er (3x) 11U, UW
    Catskill 3500 2265; 921W

Comment

Was so saddened to see this today. I've been following closely and was really hoping he was off-grid bound rather than on a suicide mission. My heart goes out to those he left behind. Thanks so much to the SAR folks, rangers, etc. who searched for him in some really awful weather.

Comment

My heart sank seeing this in the Almanack today.... Greatly saddened another tortured soul couldn't see a way out.

I still think about Wesley Wamsganz nearly every time I hike. Especially on the trail between Marcy Dam and Avalanche Camp where we saw his jacket.

I hope one day his family has closure. Vibes and love to the family of this fellow and thank you to all the SAR involved.
        Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
        I'm always gonna wanna make it move
        Always gonna be an uphill battle
        Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
        Ain't about how fast I get there
        Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
        It's the climb
        -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Here is the most recent update following a news conference this morning. The cause of death is TBD, but the article provides details on the further searches involved, who found Mr McKay, and the location

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5008
          We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post
            Here is the most recent update following a news conference this morning. The cause of death is TBD, but the article provides details on the further searches involved, who found Mr McKay, and the location

I enjoyed working with Ranger Scott VanLaer (the ranger mentioned in the article) on the search for 3 days this past week. Full of energy, Scott is also frequently seen as an active friend and visible supporter of the Lean2Rescue team on many of their projects.

For that matter, all the rangers I have ever worked with on this and other searches, and also other encounters, all deserve incredible credit for their efforts.
            Last edited by Nessmuk; 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM.
            "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post

Thanks for the link, very detailed article.
              Crepuscular Rays: Dissolve into evergreens

There's always gonna be another mountain
              I'm always gonna wanna make it move
              Always gonna be an uphill battle
              Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
              Ain't about how fast I get there
              Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side...
              It's the climb
              -Miley Cyrus

Comment

Most certainly a tragic event.
                Thanks to the dedication of the rangers and SAR teams the family did not have to go through a prolonged period wondering and holding on to hope that their son would someday re-appear. I could only imagine not knowing would have to be harder.
                Thoughts and prayers
                "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
                Ed Viesturs

Comment

The latest is that Mr McKay died of suicide via hypothermia. Latest:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...id/540886.html
                  We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Working...
                  X