Missing Possibly in High peaks region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Possibly in High peaks region

Please read the following link if anyone has info please make the appropriate contacts. He may have been walking along SR 86 between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid on December 31st with a very large pack, possibly the top of the pack even above his head.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5008

Five very cold days in there. If anyone has come across this gentlemen either on the road or in the backcountry please contact the Saranac village police at
    518-891-4422
    Thank you
    "Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
    Ed Viesturs

Comment

More information in the press:

Comment

A read the article in AE and the case seems somewhat similar to the Scott Haworth case last Sept such that both are reported to be depressed/despondent. I understand that this gentleman has PTSD.

I wonder if any SAR teams have been called up. I know mine has not (yet).
        We are closer now than we were five minutes ago

Comment

Originally posted by MtnManJohn View Post
          A read the article in AE and the case seems somewhat similar to the Scott Haworth case last Sept such that both are reported to be depressed/despondent. I understand that this gentleman has PTSD.

I wonder if any SAR teams have been called up. I know mine has not (yet).
          Not here either. Since there is no definite LKP, there is no place to focus team efforts. At some point there may be dog teams sent out. Meanwhile I standby for any iamresponding messages.
          "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

Missing Australian man in the Adirondacks

The Adirondacks seem to be a draw for people to go missing. Very mysterious course of events. Perhaps he just decided to head up to Montreal and do a little partying.

I hope he turns up safe. He sounds like he can handle himself well.
            The greatest precept is continual awareness.

Comment

The news article states the grid search started on January 10 and would be repeated today, Saturday 11th. Ugh. I feel for the selfless folks doing a grid-search in the cold rain.
              Looking for Views!

Comment

Originally posted by Trail Boss View Post
                The news article states the grid search started on January 10 and would be repeated today, Saturday 11th. Ugh. I feel for the selfless folks doing a grid-search in the cold rain.
                It continues today as well.

Comment

The latest is that "[DEC] rangers plan to expand the primary search area east to Old Military Road near Lake Placid and southeast to include Seymour Mountain." The DEC spokesman said, "Volunteers will not be needed for the search efforts planned during this period."

Much more info in the article, including gear (or lack thereof) the subject had on him.

Comment

Would I be correct in assuming the "volunteers" mentioned by the DEC spokesman refer to trained members of volunteer SAR organizations and not untrained members of the general public (like me)?
                    Looking for Views!

Comment

Would I be correct in assuming the "volunteers" mentioned by the DEC spokesman refer to trained members of volunteer SAR organizations and not untrained members of the general public (like me)?
                      Yes, that is correct. They are SAR team members who are trained and certified by the DEC to do Type 3 grid searches.

Comment

Yes, you are correct.

I was on the scene from Friday through Monday afternoon. Only DEC trained SAR volunteers were participating in the search, led by a number of rangers.
                        "Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. Every time you do you will be certain to find something you have never seen before." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

Looks like the search is over.http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com....html?nav=5008 Tragic.
                          "If a person never quit when the going got tough, they'd have nothing to regret for the rest of their lives." --Lance Armstrong, "Dodgeball"

Comment

Dammit. That's very sad news. I was hoping this young man had just hitched out of Saranac Lake.

My condolences to his family.
                            Looking for Views!

Comment

My heart sunk when I read this. My condolences to the family of Mr McKay.

Comment

Working...
                              X